Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadows not appearing in render

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
19660 Views, 4 Replies

Shadows not appearing in render

Im having this annoying problem where i have created a plane and sky light for my scene and text, in the comp the shadows work perfectly, shining onto the ground, but on the render its not working?!? plus when ever i create my bit map for my view point, it comes out very white, almost transparent. ??? HELP

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
krueger_1
in reply to: Anonymous

You probably need to enable shadows on the sky light. I believe the viewport is using occlusion, not shadows. But rendering sky light shadows with the scanline renderer will take much more time to render. Instead you could create a 3 point lighting setup with some spot lights to get the shading and shadows. That will render a lot faster.
3ds Max 2009 SP1, 2010 SP1
Maya 2012
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Dual Intel Xeon E5520, 6 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 OC
Message 3 of 5
tim
Contributor

Hey there - I just created your scene, see the image below. Now how I did it:

1. Reset your scene (file, reset)
2. Create text & extrude. Apply a standard material.
3. Create plane & apply a Matte/Shadow material (use default settings)
4. Create skylight. Tick Cast Shadows and set Rays per Sample to 10
5. Upload your image into the Environment Map slot (press 8 to bring up the Environment dialog)
6. Create a Target Camera and in one of your viewports enable the Camera view (press C)
7. Tick Use Environment Background and Display Background in the Viewport Background dialog (Alt B)
8. Move Camera around until it looks right
9. Render the scene (F9)

I think you probably know most of the above, but I wanted to make sure I gave you complete instructions. I'm not sure what happened to your background, but I'm guessing it had something to do with Gamma correction (this will have been fixed by resetting your scene). Hope this helped and let me know if you want me to send my test file.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

thank you so much, this really helped out a lot, and its all working good now!
Message 5 of 5
tim
Contributor

Glad to help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report