Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scene Thumbnail 3DS Max 2016

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
9952 Views, 29 Replies

Scene Thumbnail 3DS Max 2016

I've read previous posts from a few years ago, but haven't seen anything recent. Is there a way to see thumbnails of Scene files in Windows Explorer? 

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
spacefrog_
in reply to: Anonymous

AFAIK the only solution that works currently is to use one of the thrid party tools

Some imageviewers/browsers ( like Xnview ) can display 3ds Max thumbnails

Total commander as a plugin too AFAIK

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 3 of 30
thomes
in reply to: spacefrog_

no solution for this?

long time ago there was a reg-file around, but this does not work for windows7pro 64 bit.

i read it has something to do with 32 and 64 bit programs/systems/thumbnail saving.

...this thumbnail preview is recommended from some workers here in the company.

thanks for help

thomas

Message 4 of 30
spacefrog_
in reply to: thomes

AFAIK there's not a real solution at the moment

BTW:

i'm currently developing some explorer extensions to be able to get some Max file info in the explorer, even without having Max installed. Currently i'm working on the fileproperty extension sheet. Thumbnail display in explorer is part of the plans for this extension suite too ( not there yet). And a load of other things

I'll post some screenshots soon to make clear what i'm talking about

Josef Wienerroither
Message 5 of 30
thomes

with this thread i got the thumbnail preview done, but only in the small version, not scaled. i don´t really know if i can delete the whole .max registry entry. maybe you can help here.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-general/windows-7-max-thumbnails-in-explorer/td...

in the hkey classes root i have 3 entrys under .max...

1- openwith progids

2-persistenthandler

3-shellex

so should i delete the whole .max key?

thanks thomes

Message 6 of 30
istan

TC plugin work and I am trying to maintain it. But currently it does not show the version# right, since Max2015. Have no idea where it is saved now and AD has no doc.

BTW: TC is a lot more efficient than using explorer..

Message 7 of 30
spacefrog_

@thomes wrote:

with this thread i got the thumbnail preview done, but only in the small version, not scaled. i don´t really know if i can delete the whole .max registry entry. maybe you can help here.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-general/windows-7-max-thumbnails-in-explorer/td...

This is some insane hack but still a clever solution and might really work:

As far i understand this hack  essentially tells the system that the Max file is a word document and as the system has built in thumbnail viewing for that, uses the same mechanisms. And indeed the thumbnail in the Max file is stored using the same data structures ( structured storage ) like in the binary office formats.

BTW: here's a preview of the Maxscene info explorer Properties Panel UI i'm currently developing. This might still change a lot

MaxSceneIno_UI_Preview.png

Josef Wienerroither
Message 8 of 30
RGhost77

3ds max 2014+ comes with proper extension for Windows Explorer which show thumbnails. You need just register it (if 3ds max installer fails to do it).

1. Run command

regsvr32 "X:\3dsmax root folder\MaxThumbnailShellExt.dll"

p.s. so .. you don't need use old hack

@spacefrog

Cool screenshots Smiley Happy , if you need someone to test it, I will be glad to help.

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 9 of 30
spacefrog_
in reply to: RGhost77

@RGhost77 wrote:

3ds max 2014+ comes with proper extension for Windows Explorer which show thumbnails. You need just register it (if 3ds max installer fails to do it).

1. Run command

Holy Moly - totally missed that ! Thought that the DLL is still an internal thing, which i only knew from the beta. Hence i did'nt post about it. Did'nt notice that this was already shipping as early as Max 2014 ...

Josef Wienerroither
Message 10 of 30
thomes

i think this registers a 32 bit extension, and in can´t get 32 bit explorer to run on windows7. in the regular explorer i can´t see anything...

any help?
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous

RGhost77,

I ran the line of text you posted, and i was told it was successful. In explorer, all I get is the Max logo as a preview.

Any ideas?

Message 12 of 30
RGhost77

@thomes: this command will work for x64 explorer as well.

@Anonymous, @thomes :

1. Run cmd

3. If all ok, you get this message

Clipboard 1.png

4. You may need restart windows, and maybe clear thumbnail cache.

p.s. This works very well with win7 x64. (I can't test with 8.1, 10, please report)

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 13 of 30
thomes

hi

first of all big thanks for your help RGhost !

i got it to work on one system, the other still shows "no preview available" on the right side...i have to find out why

thomes

Message 14 of 30
thomes

works on almost all systems, super! big thanks again !

Message 15 of 30
RGhost77

Glad to help! Smiley Happy

p.s. Posted this solution in my blog http://veda3d.com/displaying-thumbnails-of-3ds-max-files/

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 16 of 30
michaelwbell

Great thread that is super helpful for users. Thanks Mike RGhost!

I think many users will be wondering about this issue since the new "Autodesk 3ds Max Asset Browser" tool also doesn't display thumbnails until you register the DLL.

Michael Wentworth-Bell
3D Artist - Reel Pictures P/L
Melbourne Australia
My website: http://thelode.com.au
Message 17 of 30
reallukx

doesn't work in windows 10.

I recently uninstalled max 2016 (had both max 2016 and 2017 installed) and after max 2016 gone also the thumbnails preview is gone.

I tried above method but preview is still gone. How I can get it back. I tried also reinstalling max 2017 but no luck regarding thumbnails preview.

http://lukx.com
Message 18 of 30
artgrail

A small addition, how to change the overlay max icons in thumbnail view:

There’s a branch in the registry, here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\

So if you add .max extension to it, then add String Value “TypeOverlay” and add a path to 3ds max icon

(for 2017 it’s here: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2017\Icons\icon_main.ico),

the overlay icons for max files will be changed.

Maybe you need to rebuild the icon cache for this patch to work.

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous

@RGhost77 wrote:

@thomes: this command will work for x64 explorer as well.

@Anonymous, @thomes :

1. Run cmd

3. If all ok, you get this message

Clipboard 1.png

4. You may need restart windows, and maybe clear thumbnail cache.

p.s. This works very well with win7 x64. (I can't test with 8.1, 10, please report)

I am on 3DS Max 2017 and Windows 10

Not sure if this helps but you may need to run CMD as administrator. I click start, type CMD and right-click it to select Run and Administrator. When I did that, it starts you in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory and was able to register the DLL successfully.

The thumbnails instantly displayed, though only half their height.  Example attached:

Message 20 of 30
info

Hi, I have the same problem with max 2018, the asset library does not load or show thumbnails and or files. I did register MaxThumbnailShellExt.dll succesfully, cleared the cache an restarted windows 10. But unfortunately no succes, can anyone help me please.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report