Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retimer Corruption 2014?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
brian
1535 Views, 5 Replies

Retimer Corruption 2014?

After using the retimer tool on five objects on a simple animation, I experienced difficulties opening the file.  On the few occasions when the file would open, I noted that there were infinite numbers of retimers applied to the scene (as per the timer window) that could not all be deleted as they appeared to be infinite even though no objects were showing a timer application (in the curve editor hiarchy) after initial attempts at deletion.  I can no longer open the file and it appears that the file is hanging up the memory of my workstation at over 3GB on startup.  I would be interested if anyone is aware of a glitch with the retimer in 2014.

Brian

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Steve_Curley
in reply to: brian

You could try this for starters. Come back if it doesn't help 😉
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxstation/n187-slow-trackview

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 6
brian

Thanks Steve, that is exactly the problem I am experiencing (Retimer Bloat).  However it appears that these file will never again reopen, so I am afraid that I some work to make up. 

For the benefit of everyone else and because your thread link indicated that the developers were unaware of the cause, let me describe the workflow. 

I have a moderately large file that is made up of several xref objects.  I use xref objects as I have had too many problems with containers and xref scenes.  I imported the objects that were going to be animated for this segment from an initial xref file into the master file or scene.  I animated them (simple car with suspension) and applied the retime tool to make some final tweaks for deceleration and acceleration.

The retiming was performed on a dummy object and later applied to the wheels, suspension and the camera chasing the vehicle.

I tested this, and everything worked great.  I copied this file and tested baking the retime animation.  This was a failure as I suddenly noted additional transformation in the z axis of the wheels that was not associated with the re-timing.

I quit this file and reverted to the prior file with the intent of either leaving the retimers unbaked or stripping them and manually making changes.  It was at this point that I noticed that there were a whole list of retimers that were not previously noted.

While most often the number of additional retimers have not been displayed, there was one point where it showed over 8,000.

I was also able to save out the car and rig to a 11 MB file, however now neither file will open again.

I suspect that perhaps the problem occurs when a retimer is utilized for an additional object beyond the first one.  The application was on a file that contained multiple xref's but the objects that the retimer was applied to were not part of an xref as they had been merged into the scene.

Message 4 of 6
brian
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Do you know if there is a way to run the scipt on the file prior to loading?

Message 5 of 6
StevenBrodie6063

Could Autodesk remove the retimer "feature", as its obviously not working, and it regularly causes our files to take 5 minutes to open.  Im just removing 16000 this second, and we generally use the maxscript to remove then 15 to 20 times a day.  They dont work, remove them.

Message 6 of 6

Best to report the bug through the proper channel.
http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-DefectSubmission

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report