Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering is taking hours and is noisy (Nvidia iray)

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
fritz_denise
8234 Views, 22 Replies

Rendering is taking hours and is noisy (Nvidia iray)

Hi there,

I tried to render a little interior design scene with the Nvidia iray renderer. This are my settings: http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CFwQFjAD&url=http%3...

I use the 3ds max design 2014 student version since i have to do this for school. This is my first semester doing architecture renderings, so i am kinda new (and lost - since my rendering time is way too long and the picture is really noisy)

My Notebook includes the

Nvidia Quadro K5000M Graphics Card (4GB)

i7-3939 K

16 GB - ddr 1600 mhz quad channel memory

120GB crucial m5 series ssd

so it cant be the computers fault for beeing to slow.

i hope anyone can help me since i have to turn in my work next week and i dont want to fail my class because i have some wrong settings Smiley Sad

THANK YOU ALREADY IN ADVANCE Smiley Wink

here is my last rendering, which took about 12 hours 4try.jpg

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
darawork
in reply to: fritz_denise

Hi,

Regardless of what the PDF says about turning your CPU to 0, I'd turn them all up... 4 or whatever the full amount is.

Also, don't turn your GPU (Used by Windows) off. Leave that turned on. Everything on and full, nothing turned off or set to 0.

I usually set the iterations to 500 for test scenes, to get a final quality I'd use between 1000 and 1500 before post processing in Photoshop.

A really good piece of software for reducing any remaining noise is 'Neat Image', the Demo version lets you process the image and save to .jpg (without any watermark).

Do you have CPUs turned down to 0? Or any GPU turned off?

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 23
fritz_denise
in reply to: darawork

Thank you for the advice. I will try it with my GPUs on asap. And if its still noisy I hope that neat image can help. Thank you
Message 4 of 23
dgorsman

Somewhat curious as to what the class is?  Normally such classes include the appropriate settings to use, if not cover the various options and what effect they have on the finished product.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 23
darawork

Make sure those lights in the living room ceiling are on too, bit dark in there. 😉

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 6 of 23
fritz_denise

@dgorsman: Its for my visualizing class. Our professor showed us the settings with vray (because this is what we have in school), it is not required for our homework though. And since vray doesn't come with the 3dsmax student version i have to work with mental ray or nvidia iray. (And I just love nvidia iray) Smiley Happy The purpose of the class is to work with the program and get a good picture, so it doesn't really matter with what you render as long as you understand it and do it yourself.

@darawork yes, that is true. I really have to turn my lights on. I will do that tonight. And thank you again for the help. Smiley Wink

Here is what I got so far. Turning the CPUs up helped a lot. Also I got rid of the noise by turning it up to 15000 iterations.

Example with 5000 iterations

7th try 5000 iterations.jpg 

And here is the same one with 15000 iterations:

15000iterations.jpg

Message 7 of 23
nirmal1373

where is this option "CPU" for turning Iterataion ? My seen has also Noise ?
Tags (1)
Message 8 of 23

It is a driver issue. You have to use the certified nvidia video card driver. It is usually several releases behind the newest version. Make sure to match the driver to your release of max. The certified driver for max 2014 will be different for 2015. So don't use the the 2015 cert driver if you are running 2014. See this post here for specifics.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/shading-lighting-and-rendering/iray-2015-slow-performance-compared-to-...

Thanks
Jason
AutoCAD 2015, 3DS Max 2015
Dell Precision 5600 - Dual Xeon 6-Core / 2.0Ghz / Hyper 24 cores / 16 gig ECC Ram / 250 gig SSHD / Dual Nvidia Quadro 4000 / Win 7 64bit
Message 9 of 23
darawork
in reply to: nirmal1373

Thanks for the reply Jason, but nobody yet knows if the poster is using 2015 so I'd hazard a guess that it's not a 'driver issue'.

See attached picture for answer to original, minimally worded, question.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 10 of 23
JasonMartinIndy

Normally I would agree with you and it may not be but when I upgraded from 2014 to 2015 my iray renders slowed way down. I couldn't figure it out because I had the GPU checkboxes. Then I unchecked them and presto..... no rendering time change .... or very little. Turns out my driver was mostly compatable.... once I upgraded to the correct Nvidia driver, I was back in buisness.

The nvidia version you should be running for Quadro cards and even a couple of GTX cards is

3ds Max 2015 - 332.21

3ds Max 2014 - 331.65 or 311.15 I am not sure why they have the 2 versions there...

For either Win 8 or Win 7

There was no cert driver for the GTX760 but the GTX690 was in the list. The Quadro K5000M was there. So fritz_denise make sure you are running whichever version is correct. You will have to search for the 64-bit versions of 332.21. Nvidia's website is still messed up and the 64-bit links only take you to the 32-bit drivers.

What version are you running?

Thanks
Jason
Dell Precision 5600 - Dual Xeon 6-Core / 2.0Ghz / Hyper 24 cores / 16 gig ECC Ram / 250 gig SSHD / Dual Nvidia Quadro 4000 / Win 7 64bit
Message 11 of 23

i am using 3ds Max 2014.
Message 12 of 23

i have windows 7 64 bit.
Message 13 of 23

Sorry, I ment what driver version of Nvidia are you running?

Right click on your desktop background, go to the Nvidia control panel, on the left side of the control panel go to Workstation, then system topology. The very first line should be Sytem and driver version.

or

Go to the Control panel -  Programs and Features - Nvidia Graphics Driver and the number will be there too.

Should be 3**.** something.

Thanks
Jason
Message 14 of 23
eodeo
in reply to: JasonMartinIndy

Have you considered using mental ray? Its fairly simple to set up and will likely render faster than iray. If you post your scene I'll try to help you set up mr properly, if you still need help.

Message 15 of 23
nirmal1373
in reply to: eodeo

ok i am sending my row file to you.that is 3ds Max 2014 v. also i am sending my reference file that i want to achieve. but Please keep this bottle secret because my client don't want to show this. i Hope you will give me Best tutorial.i want this Realistic rendering.But don't know how to set light and materiel ? Regards Manish kumar
Message 16 of 23

Just to let you know I have Iray rendering issues. I don't know exactly when but 3ds Max is not using my graphic cards. Even though I am using the correct driver version, and it shows up in the iray rendering menu as options. Max started acting a bit laggy on simple things like panning. So I did a simple Iray test render. Timed out how long it would take to render a scene with my graphic cards selected and then not selected.... guess what... no difference.

I have added a bunch of addon's and updated max so now I have to work backwards to see what broke Max. I have already reinstalled the driver to no avail. I believe it is 2015 service pack 2. I will have to start a new post with this issue.

Thanks
Jason
Message 17 of 23
eodeo
in reply to: JasonMartinIndy

I can't promise anything, but if you send me link to your file, I will try to get MR to work with it nicely.

Message 18 of 23
nirmal1373
in reply to: eodeo

i attached the file.
Message 19 of 23
Steve_Curley
in reply to: nirmal1373

No attachment...
.max files cannot be attached directly, they must be Zipped first, and the resulting .zip file must be less than the 5MB limit.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 20 of 23

Thank you for the advice & thanks for sharing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report