Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering at 50% 4 processor server

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
tracyaf_2
1032 Views, 13 Replies

Rendering at 50% 4 processor server

I'm attempting to render out some animations on my quad e7 processor xeon server. It only wants to use 40 of the 80 available threads. When I disable hyperthreading it uses all 40 (with about a 50% performance increase). This shows that it is using all 4 processors, and is also using hyperthreading when it is enabled.

I am rendering in mental ray (other rendering engines are not an option). Is there a 40 thread limit for mental ray/3ds max per system, or are there some settings I can change to take advantage of all the power?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Pyro777
in reply to: tracyaf_2

My computer has 2 xeon processors. When hyperthreaded, there are 48 cores. Works fine. Not sure what to say....

Max 2019
Win 10 64-bit; Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20 GHz; 64 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
V-Ray 4.02.05.00001
Message 3 of 14
spacefrog_

whoa 80 threads .... what to say

I can only say that until not too long ago , Max used to crash on systems with more than 32 cores/thread. That got fixed in a servicepack for Max 2014 i think...

Anyways - i you want, you can check my little tool which allows to tweak the number of cores Max is using during rendering or normal work. All right out from inside Max

You can download it either from Autodesk Exchange

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3apowerc...

or from scriptspot

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/powercoretools-tweak-3ds-maxs-cpu-resource-usage

Would love to see a screenshot of that tool with that many cores available - could you please do me that favor ?

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 4 of 14
Pyro777
in reply to: spacefrog_

Space frog,

Does your program work on satellite computers while using DBR?

Dean
Max 2019
Win 10 64-bit; Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20 GHz; 64 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
V-Ray 4.02.05.00001
Message 5 of 14
tracyaf_2
in reply to: spacefrog_

I will try your program when my render finishes in about 36 hours.

Message 6 of 14
spacefrog_
in reply to: Pyro777

@Pyro777 wrote:
Space frog,

Does your program work on satellite computers while using DBR?

Dean

Hmmm - nope, dont' think so

at least not with Mental Ray satellites , as the script only controlls 3ds Max's process options and MR satellites use there own service process to render. I think Vray DBR should work , as Vray DBR simply launches it's own 3ds Max process. If my script is configured to autoload on 3ds Max start, it applies the options right then in a startup script ...

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 7 of 14
dgorsman

How much RAM is available?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 14
tracyaf_2
in reply to: dgorsman

32gb of ram available

Message 9 of 14
dgorsman

That might be a little low.  Consider that your system may need up to several GB for each operating thread - after a handful of threads are spun off there isn't enough RAM to spin off more.  You've got the cores but I suspect you've bottlenecked the system with insufficient RAM.

Message 10 of 14
tracyaf_2

ordered an additional 48gb to make it 1gb per core which is equivilant to all of the others computers in my farm.

Message 11 of 14
dgorsman

Alright.  I'll admit it: I'm suffering from more than a little box envy right now.  😄

Message 12 of 14
philippe.luneau

To solve your problem:

Update your BIOS settings and your Bios must have a parameter of type "Numa Group Size Optimization" that it must switch to "Flat" and that should solve your problem.

Message 13 of 14
PROH
in reply to: philippe.luneau

Hi. I don't think that will solve the problem. According to theese articles, the problem is caused by the way Max handles some Windows limitations atm:

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxstation/n268-how-many-cores-does-3ds-max-support

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxstation/n269-how-many-cores-does-3ds-max-support-part-2-renderers

Heres a quote from the last article:

"The scanline renderer is limited to 32 cores. If there are more than 32 cores in the machine you have to have at least Service Pack 1 for 3ds Max 2015 installed otherwise it will crash (from the SP1 readme file: MAXX-16801 The Scanline renderer caused a program error when rendering with more than 32 processors).

Like 3ds Max the mental ray renderer will only use a single processor group, so at most 64 cores can be used, but depending on the number of cores in the machine it could be significantly lower (in the example from the previous post the 72 cores will be split in two 36 processor groups)."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 14 of 14
philippe.luneau
in reply to: PROH

We have to resolve a problem with indentique 2620 v2 processor and 2630 V3 with hyperthreading on HP DL160 servers Gen9 2 and DL 360 Gen9 and now it works without problems

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report