Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reloading Revit linked file freezes 3ds max view screen

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
joe
Explorer
785 Views, 2 Replies

Reloading Revit linked file freezes 3ds max view screen

I can create an initial link to a revit file through the Link Revit option, however if I try to reload the link once changes are made in the Revit file, the 3ds MAX screen either freezes on a view, or the screen changes to a blank grey background and we are unable to see any model? Need Help urgently as renders are unable to be created..... Below is an image of the 3ds MAX screen after it says the reload is completed...

1) We have service Pack 5 for 3ds max Design

2) Both versions of the software are 2014.

3) It doesn’t happen with any other files I have tested reloading other larger files and no such problem exists.

4) It exhibits the same behaviour if an FBX file is exported from the Revit file.

5) Interoperability update is installed.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ande1685
in reply to: joe

I am having the same issue as stated above with the same circumstances. Using Revit and 3ds Max 2014 I can save out an FBX file from Revit and initially load into 3ds Max. If I make even the slightest change to the Revit model and try to re-link into 3ds Max the process starts and stops prematurely resulting in a greyed viewport and the need to restart Max.

I have been able to save the "Re-Linked" Max file where the FBX is not properly linked resulting in a file that is missing over half of the geometry and where geometry is shifted around such as a truck in the living room. Also the objects are no longer grouped by Revit Material as specified in the FBX Link process.

As a bit of additional information, I am wondering if the problem stems from Linked Revit files. I currently have about six Revit model buildings linked into a master plan with the topography and city layout. Is there possibly an issue with these linked files not properly reloading, but if so why does it initially link into 3ds Max? Due to this issue, my workflow from Revit to Max is at a stand still where if I needed to update a material or a model in Revit, I have to start a completely new project and apply all of my materials.

Any enlightenment or understanding of this issue would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
christian.storay
in reply to: joe

I've been having this viewport problem since the beginning, and I still have it today in Max 2018. The solution is frustrating: hit shift-z to undo viewport action, followed by shift-y to redo it and bring yourself back to where you intended to be. Sometimes it gets in the way of things I want to do, like cloning, in the perspective viewport, it grays out. In the top or side viewports, it spontaneously enters orthographic. And all this before I can drag my newly cloned object.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report