Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relinking the materials library

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3765 Views, 6 Replies

Relinking the materials library

So the office server where all the maps were stored has been replaced with a new setup, and different file path..

Now I know how to re-link bitmaps within a max file using the superb 'relink bitmaps' script.. But what about relinking the maps within the material library?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

asset tracker should work i think
Message 3 of 7
PiXeL_MoNKeY

Material Libraries are a subset of the 3ds max scene file, because of this you can use the Max File Asset Metadata Stream Access to repath data without the need of manually editing required paths in the material editor.

It may be good to ask the relink bitmaps script to implement the Metadata function that is available in current releases (2010+) of 3ds max.

-Eric
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

So how does that work? After a little fiddling I'm no further with it..

You know I want to relink maps to the materials, which are saved within a material library, right?

My material library has maybe 100 material in it, all of which may have a few maps/textures on each of them - its those broken links I'm trying to fix
Message 5 of 7
PiXeL_MoNKeY

The metadata allows you to modify paths of 3ds max files, without needing to open the file. So you would get the max file in question, get the metadata, change the filename of the metadata (setting full path, name, and extension), and set the metadata of the file.

-Eric
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I have no idea how to work those things 😞 Not being an IT guru and all, I'm stuck

The link above is impossible to understand, its just code...

Its not a max file i'm trying to relink, or the material editor. Its materials within a saved library..
Message 7 of 7
PiXeL_MoNKeY

.mat Files are a .max file with the scene/object data stripped out. Because of this the code I linked to will work on .max and .mat files. Unfortunately, someone needs to hook it up to a UI for those who need it.

Like I said I would ask the relink bitmaps script creator if they could implement that functionality. Other than that you will have to manually edit each one through the mat/map browser.

-Eric

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report