Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROBLEMS WITH 3DS MAX 2017 MENTAL RAY AND PROXY

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
Lino2
4130 Views, 32 Replies

PROBLEMS WITH 3DS MAX 2017 MENTAL RAY AND PROXY

Seasr All,

I would like to submit You a couple of issues:

Issue 1 -  While rendering with a mental ray scene created with 3DS Max 2016 if I cancel the production rendering, Max 2017 crashes during the cleaning up and closes automatically. It is pratically unusable... If I re.start the application does not reopen the file giving me the classic error.
The configuration of my HP Z420 is very respectable and graphics drivers are updated to the latest version, However I tried with another workstation (even with Windows 8.1 while Z420 hasd Windows 10). It happens with Nvidia mental ray render... I tried with ART: no problems.
I point out that, if I open task management still see the active application even though it is closed.

Issue 2 - 3Ds Max 2017 does not read my previous proxies...

This happens with both Windows 8.1 to 10.

Thanks in advance.

Lino

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
RobH2
in reply to: Lino2

I can confirm this issue also. If I make an MR Proxy teapot in Max 2016 and place that proxy in Max 2017 in a standard scene and try to render with Mental Ray Renderer, Max crashes immediately and the 'Error Report' feature does not even come up to report it. 

What's also odd is that the first time I tried it I thought that maybe I'd try a different viewport template. So, after that first crash I clicked to use the Outside template. Upon loading it Max crashed. But I did get the Errror Reporting feature. That's when I reported it. However, now every time I try to use that Outside template, Max immediately crashes. I've never used that template before so I'm not entirely sure it was caused by the proxy issue but I certainly can't use that template. 

However, I have reported it to Autodesk. If you do get the opportunity to report it after a crash, do fill it out and report it. It will get read. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 33
jens.diemer
in reply to: RobH2

RobH2 schrieb:

place that proxy in Max 2017 in a standard scene and try to render with Mental Ray Renderer, Max crashes immediately and the 'Error Report' feature does not even come up to report it. 

Strange: I think the "decoupling" MR from max should result in more stability... Why can max crash without CER here?!?

Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs | https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches
Message 4 of 33
Lino2
in reply to: jens.diemer

...I am quite sure that this problem is depending to mental ray proxy 'cause whenever i cancel any proxy from the scene, everithing is working.

Is the problem dipending fro the new mental ray plugins or is it a bug in 3ds max 2017?

Anyway, I hope this problem will be solved soon. I would like to use my proxies...smileysad:

Thanks. Lino.

P.S: the crash doesn' report any eerror, but when I re-open the same scene with proxy I get error message because the scene is still open in background.

Message 5 of 33
joelgray

I just wanted to chime in and subscribe to this thread. I'm having the same issues with Mental Ray Proxy crashing max when terminating a test render. In fact, Mental Ray Proxy isn't even in my create/Object panel... I found it in the drop down menus but it doesn't work.

It should be noted that I'm one of the people that installed Max 2017 and it didn't have the Mental Ray Installation option. I used a file provided here on the forums.

I'm in the middle of a project now and I'm afraid I may have to revert back to Max 2016 to finish due to this issue. Keep me posted guys.

Thanks.

Joel

Message 6 of 33
terrysandee
in reply to: joelgray

I am having the same issues with proxies brought over from 2016 files.

Has this been resolved yet?  Trying t avoid going back to 2016.

Message 7 of 33
Lino2
in reply to: terrysandee

HI Terrysandee,

it has not been solved yet. I have received many assurances that this issue
is one of the topic ones for Autodesk, but nothing happened: the problem
keeps pending. what can I say? I can only hope that Autodesk takes charge of
this big issue and reverts with the solution.

Meanwhile, please keep me informed in case of news.

Bye. Lino.
Message 8 of 33
marc.pat

yes I have the some problem.

I record a video for show it.

best regards.

Message 9 of 33
Lino2
in reply to: marc.pat

HI,

DESPITE I HAVE INSTALLED SERVICE PACK 1 AND SERVICE PACK 2 THE PROBLEM HAVE
NOT BEEN SOLVED AT ALL: SAME CRASH USING PROXIES. I AM VERY
DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 10 of 33
terrysandee

Uggh... I just installed SP2 and still have the same issue as well.  

Message 11 of 33
josh
in reply to: terrysandee

I'm also having this problem. The only work around is to recreate the proxies from scratch in 2017, BUT THE POINT CLOUD DISPLAY OPTION DOESN'T WORK!!!! All I get is the bounding box and the "show point cloud" does nothing. When placing cars and plants I need to have some idea of where the object is within the bounding box.. 

Message 12 of 33
Lino2
in reply to: josh

Hi josh thanks for posting,

yes, I can confirm what you say. I can also add that if I render a scene
including proxies with Art renderer, the scene doesn't crash, but I can
only obtain a RENDER OF THE BOUNDING BOX. Anyway, my main concern is: why
Autodesk continues ignoring this problem despite of 2 service packs? Is not
this issue a big mutilation of the application itself?

Bye.

Lino.
Message 13 of 33
Lino2
in reply to: josh

Seasr All,

I would like to submit You a couple of issues:

Issue 1 -  While rendering with a mental ray scene created with 3DS Max 2016 if I cancel the production rendering, Max 2017 crashes during the cleaning up and closes automatically. It is pratically unusable... If I restart the application does not reopen the file giving me the classic error.
The configuration of my HP Z420 is very respectable and graphics drivers are updated to the latest version, However I tried with another workstation (even with Windows 8.1 while Z420 hasd Windows 10). It happens with Nvidia mental ray render... I tried with ART: no problems.
I point out that, if I open task management still see the active application even though it is closed.

Issue 2 - 3Ds Max 2017 does not read my previous proxies...

This happens with both Windows 8.1 to 10.

Thanks in advance.

Lino

DEAR ALL,

DO YOU REMEMBER THIS PROBLEMATIC ISSUE?

K THAN: AFTER 3 DERVICE PACKS INSTALLED THE PROBLEM HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM OR DID YOU DISCOVER THE SOLUTION?

ANY REPLY WILL BE THE MOST APPRECIATED, SPECIALLY IF THE REPLY IS COMING FROM AUTODESK.

YHANKS IN ADVANCE.Lino.

Message 14 of 33
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @all

I just wanted to let you all know that I am totally aware of these issues and I have been following the thread.  I sometimes don't post if I don't have a solution to a problem, but I can see that this isn't the best practice in times like this when you are all looking for confirmation that you are being heard. 

I assure you, you are.  Part of the problem is that the SDK for mental ray this year isn't out yet, and obviously that causes some problems.  The other issues are on Autodesk and are logged in the bug tracker already.  

Regarding the mr Proxies, there is an issue loading proxies from earlier versions into 2017.  If you make your proxies in 2017 they should work for you, but from earlier versions it's a problem.  I realize this causes some pain for a number of people, but simply regenerating those proxies from 2017 should allow you to continue.

I realize this post may not be met with enthusiasm, and I understand.  I can only assure you that these bugs are logged and that Autodesk is aware of the issues.

Best Regards,

Message 15 of 33
joelgray

Thank you for reaching out regarding this issue, Alfred. Reworking a library of proxies is a pain, but I understand the underlying issues better now. Hopefully others can be as understanding too.
Message 16 of 33

Thanks,

I will have to keep using 2016 until this is resolved. Please keep us posted.

When I installed 2017 (as part of design premium suite) mental ray did not install and was not listed as an option anywhere to install.

I had to go digging through the installer files to find the mental ray installer and run it after the fact.

Now anytime I have issues I don't know if it's an issue with the software or my installation.

Message 17 of 33

Hello @CNATWOOD,

It is in there, you just have to scroll down when you are choosing your install options.  Previous versions of Max didn't have that many options, and may people didn't realize that you could scroll so your issue isn't uncommon.  

Best Regards,

Message 18 of 33
Lino2
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

DEAR ALFRED,

I tried in several ways to regenerate my proxies with 3DS max 2017 without any success. The matter is the following: AFTER THE CREATION OF THE PROXY ITSELF, I CANNOT SEE ANY POINT CLOUD, SO THAT IT MAKES ME UNABLE TO APPLY ANY MODIFICATION TO THE OBJECT. IT IS PRATICALLY UNUSABLE.

I followed the procedures step by step. No way!  Is there any trick, may be?

This matter is so important for me and many other users like me. Can You help me, please?

Awaiting to hearing from you soon, I remain.

BST RGDS. Lino.

Message 19 of 33
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Lino2,

Yes, there is a problem with the point cloud display for mrProxy objects currently and the bounding box view is what needs to be used for the time being.  It's logged in the tracker and being looked at.

Best Regards,

Message 20 of 33
mike
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Alfred.DeFlaminis

We have run into the same issue with MentalRay proxies and are currently in production on a couple of shows using Max 2017.  Can we get an update on if/when there may be a fix or workaround from Autodesk on this issue please?  Like others on the list, we have an extensive library of proxy assets where the idea of updating each one individually is a prohibitive solution on a production schedule.

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report