Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem starting Max 2014 after a crash

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
iceman-clive
8242 Views, 4 Replies

Problem starting Max 2014 after a crash

Hi,

My Max 2014 crashed with the usual dialogue box to save under autorecover. On closing, it also then crashed Windows 7, which recovered itself.

On trying to restart Max, it loads the plugins Ok and then says "starting Max". It then gives me the same error message dialogue box:

"An error has occurred and the application wil now close.

Do you want to attempt to save a copy of the the current scene?"

If I say yes, I note that it is the same scene I was working on before the crash, although Max did not open it yet. I let it send the error report, but have not received a reply.

I tried a system restore to a week ago, then a Max repair from the control panel and finally uninstalling and re-installing Max with all the SP's and updates, but always get the same on startup.

It would seem that Max is OK but it somehow remembers what it was doing at the crash and keeps returning there. Perhaps it is a file that needs to be deleted but I don't know which or where.

Can someone please help?

Windows 7 Ultimate

Intel i7-2600 3.4 GHz

16GB RAM

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
lightcube
in reply to: iceman-clive

This probably means one or more of the files in your appData is corrupt.

Do this.

Navigate to C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax

Rename the 2014 - 64bit folder to something else like Backup2014.

Now start Max.

Also, since it showed the wrong file at load, i'd suggest you navigate to your 3ds Max project folder and look for a file called maxstart.max in the scenes folder. If there is such a file, rename it to something else.

Now launch Max and see if it is correct.

You will need to reapply any macroscripts/preferences that are now lost by reinstalling those plugins that made them or by copying them from your renamed folder above.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 3 of 5
iceman-clive
in reply to: lightcube

Thanks Shawn,

This solved the problem.

Kind Regards,

Clive

Message 4 of 5
leeman
in reply to: iceman-clive

Thanks Shawn,

Couldn't quite find the files you mentioned but I did find (and rename) MaxStartUI.musx. Got max to start.

Message 5 of 5
NordJosefina
in reply to: lightcube

I can't find the file that you're supposed to rename 😕 When I go to AppData, then Local, there is no Autodesk folder, only a Microsoft folder. Is there anything else you can do to fix the error?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report