Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem selecting an x-ref object

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1668 Views, 2 Replies

problem selecting an x-ref object

hey all,

i recently started working with x-ref objects, so i'm new to this aspect of max.

i have an x-ref object in my scene and i can't select it in the viewport with all the regular tools like "select and move etc"

so i can't move it or rotate, or add modifiers or even delete it.

what am i doing wrong??

than'x

good week

guy

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
PROH
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi. Xref objects are different in Max than i.e. AutoCAD. You can't select it, and you can't put an modifier on it. If your Xref is linked to an object (in the Xref dialog box) you can move, scale and rotate the Xref by doing so to its parent object. The only way to manipulate it otherwise, is to open the Xref file directly.

Tip: When I work with scene Xrefs, I usually use the "Overlay" mode. This allows me to xref A into B, and B into A. This way I can work in both files with everything appearing in the display.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 3
tsm992
in reply to: Anonymous

If you're like me and accidentally clicked "XRef File" instead of "Merge File" when dragging and dropping another model into your scene, you can go to File (or Application Menu for older versions) > Reference > XRef Scene and then a dialog box will open and you can select and delete the XRef that you accidentally added to your scene. Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report