Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem extruding an AutoCAD drawing in 3ds Max 2013

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
3203 Views, 2 Replies

Problem extruding an AutoCAD drawing in 3ds Max 2013

Hello

I am having a problem extruding a DWG file in 3DS Max. When I select the extrude modifier and give it an amount I can only extrude the splines and not the area enclosed within them. Here is a screenshot of what I mean.DWG.jpg

I want to extrude all the blue areas in this drawing which I highlighted. I am trying to design a level so I want the grey area to be the characters path through it and the blue area to be the floor and ceiling. Im new to AutoCad and 3DS Max so I dont know much about them. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Make certain that the vertices are welded. Each area needs to be surrounded by a single, closed Spline. So that means the main outer Spline surrounding the main Blue area, the Spline which surrounds the Grey area and also the one surrounding the the Blue "island".

A word of caution - Max does not always like complex shapes when extruding. You may find it will work better if you split the model into sections, extrude each one, convert them to Editable Poly then attach them together. Will require a little extra work removing "internal" polys and then welding the vertices between the various sections.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 3
darawork
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Personally I'd extrude in AutoCad and then import the dwg afterwards.

A tip for AutoCad; Type 'bo' to bring up the boundary region tool. Click in the middle of the shape and it will create a closed polyline boundary automatically. Then simply type 'ext' (shortcut to extrude), 'L' (to select last created entity) then the enter the extrusion height.

If you need to modify the extrusion in Max you can still get to sub-object level and move the grip nodes around.

You can only modify an 'imported' dwg. A file linked dwg is basically locked down until you right-click and convert to editable mesh/poly.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report