Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Cloud Tool for 3ds Max / 3ds Max Design Available on Autodesk Labs

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
scott.sheppard
1114 Views, 40 Replies

Point Cloud Tool for 3ds Max / 3ds Max Design Available on Autodesk Labs

The previous version of the technology preview ended in June. Today we posted a new one. This one is compatible with 3ds Max 2012 and 3ds Max Design 2012 as well as continuing to be compatible with the 2011 and 2010 versions. This one does not expire until December 20, 2011 - so give it a try and get your feedback into labs.3dsmax.pointcloud@autodesk.com or post to this forum.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/3dsmax_pointcloud/

The feedback you provide determines what happens next with this technology.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41
josh.harle
in reply to: scott.sheppard

As an important note: If you have already installed last years 3DS Max pointcloud viewer, the new installer will end without error, but won't install. You must remove the old ones from "Uninstall Programs" first.
Message 3 of 41
Anonymous

Cant download...

Referral Denied
You don't have permission to access (file) on this server.

help.
Message 4 of 41

Was able to convert the demo point cloud to .ptdb with the 3ds max pts to .ptsb utility, but how do I convert from .zfc to .pts format so I can try the demo on our data.
Message 5 of 41
scott.sheppard
in reply to: Anonymous

This means you are having trouble with cookies. The download server is looking for the referring site to be an Autodesk web page.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 41

Unfortunately you would need a 3rd party tool to convert from ZFC to PTS.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 41
drpalo

Downloaded the point cloud tool preview without any issues. Downloaded, converted, inserted example lobby scene without any issues. Doesn't look like many points though. Can't make out what the scan is. In the point cloud parameters, #pts shows 0.00k/0.00k & when I change level of detail nothing changes. Changing point display does nothing & rendering only shows points but still can't make out the scan. I'm new to this so chances are the problem is me.

Thanks.
Autodesk Product Design Suite 2016
Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 8 of 41
omri
Message 9 of 41
Anonymous

I have a point cloud with 275 million points, and during rendering I can't go over 15% LOD without running into an insufficient memory error.

I've set triangles per pt to 1, disabled all features including final gather, reflections, and refractions. Set the bucket with to 8, disabled proxies.

I'm using
3ds Max 2012 x64
Windows 7 Professional x64
Core i7 990X
24GB RAM
Message 10 of 41
Anonymous

I could download "Autodesk3dsMaxProjectHelix.exe" and display install window.
But I can't select any checkbox of version selection.
How can I try this attractive project?

Message 11 of 41
scott.sheppard

Project Helix is a companion to 3ds Max or 3ds Max Design. Which version of one of these do you already have installed on your machine?

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 41
Anonymous

It's 3ds Max 2012 64bit. How should I do?
Message 13 of 41

This technology preview ends on December 20. I am worried that time will have passed by the time we figure this out. Was 3ds Max installed as part of some other set of applications, like a suite? Are you using the English version? I ask because it looks like the Point Cloud Tool installer is not finding the registry keys it is looking for to determine what products you have already installed.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 14 of 41
drpalo

Thanks for the response Riberholt,

I'm finally getting back to this project. Where is the default location for the install.exe? Tried doing a search & never found it.

Thanks.
Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 15 of 41

The installer will be located wherever you put it when you downloaded it from the Autodesk Labs site. It might be in your Downloads folder. You can then unblock it before running it.

http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/2011/10/unblock-technology-previews-before-installing-for...

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 41
drpalo

What is the file called that I need to unblock? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong file name. It's an .exe file correct?

Thanks.
Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 17 of 41

The file name is Autodesk3dsMaxProjectHelix.exe.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 18 of 41
drpalo

The file is not on my machine. I got IT involved to make sure I'm not crazy. It's on my "add or remove programs" list but when I try to repair or reinstall, I get the attached message. I searched the path in the attached message & I don't find the .exe file. Also, I looked at the "block .dll" web page. Not sure if I read this correct, does this plug-in use the internet to run? I noticed having problems with Autodesk Lab's website today. Could this have anything to do with my problems?

Thanks for your help & patience.
Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 19 of 41
drpalo

Let me try the attachment again...
Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 20 of 41
drpalo

Ok so I'll type it out. When I try to repair or reinstall from the "add or remove programs" list, it gives me the following:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click ok to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2012 64-bit Project Helix.msi" in the box below.

Then it points to a path where(I'm assuming)this file was at one time but now is no longer.

Thanks again for any help.
Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report