Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pan and orbit not working with middle mouse button and alt+mmb

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
50785 Views, 13 Replies

Pan and orbit not working with middle mouse button and alt+mmb

Hi, I'm struggling with this issue. Just worked fine until few days ago, just for no reason orbit and pan stopped working using mmb and alt+mmb. Working on 2015, I even installed 2014 version but the issue is the same. At school everything works fine but when I get home, I'm stacked with ctrl+r ant ctrl+p which is frustrating.

thanks for any ideas on how to solve this.

Cheers

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ekahennequet
in reply to: Anonymous

Check the setting for Interaction Mode in Preference and make sure it's set to 3ds Max.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/modeling/problem-with-extruding-edges/td-p/5311849

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: ekahennequet

Hi and thanks for a tip. That was actually firts solution I tried when the problem started. When I change the interaction mode to maya, the orbitting works like in maya with alt+lmb, the panning however doesn't start to work at all maya like nor 3ds max like...

Message 4 of 14
Stefan_L

Is it a 3dsMax issue or is it systemwide?

Check if your mmb works at all - it should at least change the focus between windows programs.

I use a Logitech M500 with a wheel that can be tiltet left and right for other functions. The wheel is very hard to press, tilting is much easier. So I mapped the tilting to the mmb too using Logitechs SetPoint untility. This program sometimes stops working, the result is: no middle mouse button.

--
Stefan

i7-2600 @ 3,4GHz, 32GB Ram,
512+128GB SSDs + 2x500GB HD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB + GTX 980 4GB
latest Driver (almost always)
Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 5 of 14
eodeo
in reply to: Stefan_L

Check this out: http://uberoptions.net/

It makes setpoint work as they should have been working from the start. I can't imagine using a mouse that is not completely remapped per button per application.

I use mx revolution and I too remap tilt left to mmb in max. It makes the most sense.

p.s. update to the latest setpoint drivers. It makes uberoptions installation a bit harder (just follow instructions online), but I have had 0 crashes ever since I upgraded from 4.x to 6.x.

Message 6 of 14
Stefan_L
in reply to: eodeo

Just had a look - looks good, I'll keep that in mind, but I don't need it.

I'm on SetPoint 6.61, can remap/unmap what I need and the mapping fails about twice a year - can live with that...

And I can't imagine using a mouse which behaves differently in different applications 🙂
--
Stefan

Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 7 of 14
eodeo

For a simple example- i remap small thumb button that is usually "forward" in browsers to be "alt" in Max so i can smal thumb button +tilt left to arc rotate my scene. Largde thumb button is zoom extents selected, while it's "back" in browsers.

I remap these buttons to different combinations in different games and so on. It can be very handy.

Message 8 of 14
Stefan_L
in reply to: eodeo

Being blessed with gurkins as fingers I completely unmap those thumb buttons. No more accidents since...
--
Stefan

Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

ok... shame on me it was the mmb on the mouse stopped working at all. The wheel works fine just the clicking doesn't work anymore 😞 I feel really bad I was annoying You guys with such a simple n00b question. thanks a bunch anyways. And thanks for that nice little tip on the uberoptions. It seems to be really usefull. Allways struggling switching between max, maya, zbrush, unfold and such. This option to unify all nav commands looks promissing.

Best

Petr Mucha

Message 10 of 14
ekahennequet

@Stefan_L wrote:
Being blessed with gurkins as fingers I completely unmap those thumb buttons. No more accidents since...

Smiley LOL

I've been using the Intuos stylus for many years, and now using a mouse is like working with a brick.  🙂

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

I have found that my mouse wasn't configured correctly. It's a fairly generic Logitech mouse, but make sure to set the middle mouse button to 'generic' in set point. (Other -> Generic). That way it worked again for me

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

I found solution

RUN setpoint ( Logitech app ) as administrator . it will works well  

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I found solution

right click on  setpoint ( Logitech app ) and run it as administrator . it will works always not sometimes  

Message 14 of 14
veersri734

My Alt+middle  Mouse button not working in Maya

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report