Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to 'mask' a VRay Normal Map

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
RobH2
2098 Views, 5 Replies

Need to 'mask' a VRay Normal Map

I had assumed that creating a Mask Node and attaching a Normal Map (Map slot) and a gradient (Mask slot) that I could mask the effect of the Normal Map in a VRay material. However, that does not work. The Normal Map gets completely wiped out. I tried using a modified Normal Map to mask itself by painting out the parts I wanted to mask with the same blue, and use that for the mask,  but that failed too.

How can I mask an area of a Normal Map?

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2022-2024.2), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
paulneale
in reply to: RobH2

I can only suggest that you are doing something wrong as if the normal map doesn't have information in it there is no way that it could possibly be making it up just by it self. Are you sure that the material that you are working with is assigned to the node that you are rendering?

Paul Neale
PEN Productions
http://paulneale.com
Win 10 64bit
Nvidia GeForce 1060
Message 3 of 6
RobH2
in reply to: paulneale

Hi,

Yea, that idea to mask it with itself was a last-ditch effort. I began by doing it the way I always have by using a black and white image as the mask. That curiously didn't work so I was just stabbing in the air. I knew the "masking it with itself" was not going to work but wanted to at least let readers know what I had tired.

Still can't get it to work, hmmmm....

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2022-2024.2), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 4 of 6
paulneale

I don't have VRay on this system but what you are doing should work. 

Paul Neale
PEN Productions
http://paulneale.com
Win 10 64bit
Nvidia GeForce 1060
Message 5 of 6
RobH2
in reply to: paulneale

Yes, it should but it's not. I'll keep experimeting. I have two hours into this and it's odd. I've masked a regular bitmap (photo) so I know my system is OK. The Normal Map just won't behave with a mask. I've even tried different Normal Maps to see if it was a bad Normal Map. No luck.

Thanks

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
RobH2

Reporting back in case it helps someone else. I had followed a suggestion from a post about using Normal Maps with VRay. It suggested that I create a Standard Normal Map node and attach that to the 'Bump' slot. Running into that Standard NM it said put a VRay Normal Map. I loaded my Normal Map into the VRay NM. That worked well before I decided to use a Mask.

It looked like this:   Bitmap (Normal Map)--------->VRay Normal Map-------->Standard Normal Map------->VRay Material(Bump Slot)

So, when I started thinking about using a Mask, I put a 'Mask' node between my original Normal Map and the VRay Normal Map.

That looked like this:  Bitmap (Normal Map)--------->Mask Node-------->VRay Normal Map-------->Standard Normal Map------->VRay Material(Bump Slot)

That did not work and I tried a bunch of other things. So, what I did was ignore some of the directions that I read in that post and I created this, and it worked:

Bitmap (Normal Map)--------->VRay Normal Map-------->Mask Node------->VRay Material(Bump Slot)

By dropping the Standard Bump Map node and moving the Mask Node to just before the Bump Slot, it seems to be working. And it goes to show you, be careful about how much you trust solutions or tutorials you find on the web. While helpful, some of them may not be entirely correct.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report