Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navigation wheel disappears

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
kiarianc
2601 Views, 19 Replies

Navigation wheel disappears

3ds Max 2014 Student Version

Navigation wheel keeps disappearing. Appears everytime I reboot. When I load up a previous dwg, or move around it disappears again.

SHIFT-W nothing.

Any advice? I've tried installing the service packs 2 and 3, but the installer says 'error'

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Steve_Curley
in reply to: kiarianc

Are you certain you downloaded the correct Service Pack(s)? Those for Max Design will not install on Max, those for Max will not install on Max Design.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 20
kiarianc
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Yes. I am certain.

Message 4 of 20
wiyogo_karta

How does it dissapear? randomly during your work or 1 hour into your work?

Other than going into the Preference Settings, you can also press the squiggly button (~) next to the number 1 on your keyboard.

Hope it helps.

Message 5 of 20
darawork
in reply to: wiyogo_karta

I've had the mouse disappear today, in the morning. About 8 hours ago. I wonder if it was some MS update, being Patch Tuesday and all?

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 6 of 20
wiyogo_karta
in reply to: darawork

I agree with Steve_curley about updating the Service Packs.

But in the past when the Wheel dissapears, all I had to do is to go to the setting and tick the box for it to stay on. (another small possibility is that you may have the same shortcut key, Shift + W,for others...)

As in case of Mouse dissapearing, I've never heard of any such issues. Sounds like not from the program. When this happen, could you click anything outside the program, such as the Start Window button?

Let us know how you fixed the two issues please.

Message 7 of 20
kiarianc
in reply to: wiyogo_karta

Service packs 1-4 installed.

Shift W - nothing.

When I boot up 3ds Mx, the navigation wheel shows up in the viewport. As soon as I click anywhere in the viewport, it disappears. I click on view menu, go to the navigation wheel option, it's already set to show. The program works as normal. Everything works, apart from the navigation wheel showing up.

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. I also have a 3d Space Navigator Connexion mouse. Could this be causing it? I have unplugged this, rebooted. Still getting this vanishing navigation wheel!?

Message 8 of 20
Steve_Curley

Have you checked that Shift+W is actually assigned to anything (it's unassigned here)? Customize > Customize User Interface, click in the entry field and type Shift+W - it will tell you what it is assigned to.

Beyond that I can't help - I kill the viewcube and steering wheels immediately after installation and never touch them again.

Simply unplugging the Space Navigator many not be sufficient - its drivers will still be active - you probably need to uninstall those to do a proper test.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 9 of 20
kiarianc

I will check Steve. This is my home setup, so will have to check later.

Can I ask why you don't use the viewcube and navigator? I am trying to find the fastest, most efficient way of navigating around the 3ds Max workspace. Coming from a CAD background, I would ideally like some simple mouse commands (using shift/alt etc) to quickly navigate myself around, and to use my 3D mouse if needed. I assume you are already doing this, hence not needed the navigation wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Kiarian

Message 10 of 20
wiyogo_karta

Click on the (+) on the top Left -> Viewport Configuration

Make sure you have the same setting as me. (I found out that the wheel can dissapear if you move the mouse outside the Active Viewport)

Message 11 of 20
Steve_Curley

I don't use a 3D mouse (good old Logitech MX518).

Because a) they get in the way. b) there's little on them can't be done without them (with much easier to use key/mouse combinations) and c) because I've been using Max for so many years before they even existed that I have yet to find use for them. There's probably a d), e) and f) as well, if I thought about it for long enough 😉

MMB = Pan
Alt+MMB = Orbit
Scroll Wheel = coarse Zoom
Ctrl+Alt+mouse forward/backward = fine Zoom
F, T, L, P for switching the viewport to Front, Top, Left or Perspective
F2 toggles selected polys being shaded (in red) or edged (in Red)
F3 toggles wireframe/shaded
F4 toggles showing the wireframe as well as the objects being shaded
And last, but by no means least, F1 brings up the Help 😛

These, and many others, should all be in the Help (somewhere) though you may have to hunt for them as everything seems centered around the viewcube/steering wheels these days.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 12 of 20
kiarianc

That's pretty much what I thought. I'll double check these mouse/keyboard commands when I get home. I'm pretty sure those commands were not working when I tried them, hence trying to sort out this navigation wheel nonsense.

Likewise, wioyogo_karta. Although I am pretty certain my navigation wheel settings as identical.

Will update if no change. Thanks.

Message 13 of 20
Steve_Curley

If they don't work then I would suspect those drivers of getting in the way. Those are all built-in, hard-wired functions (well, the mouse-related ones are) and they haven't altered for years, unless you switch to using the Maya settings, then they might.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 14 of 20
darawork

Try the Walkthough tool too. Mouse movement 'looks' and cursor keys 'walk'.

Left and Right keys strafes.

[SHIFT] + up or down deals with elevation.

If you've ever played any pc shooter games it's a lot like that.

To access it quickly click into the perspective viewport and press the up arrow cursor key.

Or to access it slowly... press the 'two feet' icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 15 of 20
kiarianc

OK,

the only thing that works is zoom on my mouse. All other functions do not. I did assume I could use my mouse to navigate, hence the original subject about where has the navigate wheel gone, as I thought the mouse might not be used. Obviously, of course you can use the mouse. Mine is just not working as it should (its a new mouse).

On the original post. I can get the navigation wheel, by using all the advice given, but it keeps disappearing as soon as I close it. I cannot select it again unless I click the + symbol on the top left of viewport. The shortcut does not work, even though the shortcut is assigned to the navigation wheel.

Something wierd is happening to both my mouse, and the navigation wheel. 

Message 16 of 20
Steve_Curley

If you have a "normal" 3-button mouse lying around I would try that first, but you'll need to remove any device drivers you've installed. My Logitech works perfectly with the drivers built into Windows.
I did try turning the Steering Wheels on earlier (which made me remember why I got rid of them in the first place) and mine kept disappearing too - and I got stuck in Orbit mode until I disabled them again 😞

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 17 of 20
PROH

Hi. I don't use the navigation wheel in Max, but I do use it in Design Review - there's no other option. However because of this thread, I tried to activate the navigation wheel, and found a behavior similar to what you describe: it diapears when clicking in the viewport, and the only way to get it back is via the "View" menu (and only if "Always Show the Pinned Wheel on Start" is checked in the Viewport Configuration). Also the shortcut "shift + w" is not assigned by default.

Can't say if this is the intended behavior or not, but that's the way it is right now in version 2014 sp4. Just another reason not to use it.

Regarding your mouse. Is it a Logitech mouse? I've got a Logitech mouse myself, and by default my MMB (pressed scroll whell) was deactivated. I had to download "Setpoint" and set it up myself, to be able to use it.

Another possible cause to your lack of mouse functionality could be your 3d Connexion mouse - there has been some issues in Max with this mouse/driver. Don't know if they are solved - you could make a search here on the Area.

Hope it helps.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 18 of 20
kiarianc
in reply to: PROH

Thanks. Uninstalled 3D mouse. Thought that would solve everything, but mouse still unable to navigate, apart from zoom.

Microsoft Wireless Mouse 4000.

OK. Just plugged in an old (wireless mouse). Now I can navigate on my crappy £10 mouse. What a pain this is turning into. The equipment I thought was better quality is getting owned by a spiddly little wireless mouse.

Now I need to figure out how I can set my microsoft mouse to a bog standard default setting.

Just checked the Microsoft. Apparently everyone is having a problem with this mouse. Great. The one mouse I buy is a dud.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/microsoft-mobile-mouse-4000-scro...

Message 19 of 20
Steve_Curley

Microsoft can't code their way out of a paper bag where mouse drivers are concerned. The old "Intellipoint" drivers being a case in point... (if you'll excuse the pun 😉 ).
I'd never use anything wireless unless it was the only option. Mice, networks... all wired (and no problems either).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 20 of 20
wiyogo_karta

If you have time, would you answer my quesions? I need help about the workflow

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-Max-3ds-Max-Design-General/Which-ones-are-priority/td-p/4837417

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report