Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MultiRes Modifier crashing Max

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
lightcube
668 Views, 5 Replies

MultiRes Modifier crashing Max

I have found that MultiRes often crashes Max when you press the generate button.

Attached is an example scene with a simple mesh. If you apply a MultiRes modifier to it, press Generate, then press Generate again, it crashes Max.

It has happened in the past too with other meshes.

I am trying to figure out what it is about some kinds of meshes that crash the MultiRes Generate function.

Common steps that have not solved any problems:

# Reset XForm
# Convert To Mesh then Convert to Editable Poly

You may ask why not simply refrain from clicking generate twice. The reason is that I discovered this while troubleshooting game export tools where the MultiRes modifier is programatically told to Generate at different points for various reasons. The automated functions do not know if it was ever already generated.

I know many people will suggest using ProOptimizer (which I often do) but the functions I'm working with are being used by people who don't always have access to ProOptimizer... and there are times where MultiRes actually makes better results.

So, are there any ideas about what things cause MultiRes to crash?

multires_mesh_crash.zip

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Kelly_Michels
in reply to: lightcube

Please log this here:

http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-bugreport

This goes straight to me and is best to be logged in our system. I will review it as soon as it comes in.
Kelly Michels
3ds Max Senior QA
3ds Max Feedback Community Manager
ECP Division Feedback Community Administrator
kelly.michels@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 6
lightcube
in reply to: Kelly_Michels

Submitted. Thanks for looking into it. It's been a random but recuring thing for some projects I've worked on as well as models that have been sent to me. I really cannot find any common thing in the meshes that cause the problem... it "seems" that the last couple meshes have been ones that are composed of tris rather than quads... but that may not actually be the case as I cannot speak with certainty about it from memory and I probably couldn't remember which specific meshes to look for from past experiences.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 4 of 6
Kelly_Michels

Shawn,

I confirmed this and a developer is going to take a look now. For future reference if needed the defect ID is MAXX-9038.
Kelly Michels
3ds Max Senior QA
3ds Max Feedback Community Manager
ECP Division Feedback Community Administrator
kelly.michels@autodesk.com
Message 5 of 6
lightcube
in reply to: Kelly_Michels

Thank you. It will save some grief for me as some users of my tools have been hounding me about it... and it wasn't until today that I realized it was a problem with MultiRes and not my scripts.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 6 of 6
lightcube

I believe that the problem lies in Isolated Vertices. Removing the isolated verts in that specific mesh fixed the problem here.

I'll test more when I get some time to see if this is the general case.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report