Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi Object Selection

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jazzmaine
225 Views, 5 Replies

Multi Object Selection

I dropped in a bunch of windows from an AutoCAD file into 3DsMax. I'd like to assign material to all of them without individually selecting each window frame, each window sash and each window glass. How would I go about isolating and selecting for instance, all window sashes at the same time or applying the same type of material to a particular type of object? Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Steve_Curley
in reply to: jazzmaine

That rather depends on exactly what you have.

If the objects are real instances, then select one of them, Edit (menu) > Select Instances. Alternatively there is a Material Editor option to "Propagate to Instances" which will do it for you, but they must be Instances or References, not copies.

If the objects are not instances, but are named sequentially in some way eg. WindowFrame001, WindowFrame002 etc then you can select them by using a Scene Explorer.

If neither of the above then you're probably going to have to select them one at a time. As this is a rather tedious process I would suggest you either make a Selection Set once you've selected them, or move them onto a Layer of their own, both of which allow you to easily select them all again if necessary. You can then use the Apply Material to Selection in the Material Editor.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 6
ramissin

Top advice from Steve (as usual)

You might want to try this script

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/select-objects-by-bitmaptex

it may have a function you can use, i use it all the time when importing scenes with 1000's of separate meshes, the only difference is, they already have a texture assigned but no path, I use Relink Bitmaps to fix the paths, then i can select all objects with particular material/texture.
Branko wrote the script for me by request, the guy is amazing with code 🙂 It saves a huge amount of time.

it may help.
Message 4 of 6
jazzmaine

Thanks so much for your help on this. I took a basic 3DsMax class 2 years ago while I was in design school and my company wants me to create 3D scenes & building models for their new division, but my skills are a bit rusty. Any advice on refresher courses?
Message 5 of 6
Hwagner

link autocad by layers and make sure you divide up you model into the correct layers (usually each layer represents a specific material). this way you can select by layer and apply the necessary material and UVW mapping.

you could end up with alot of layers but it makes it real easy to select and apply.
Message 6 of 6
blakestone

maybe export just the windows as a separate file and everything else in another file... that way you can just import the windows, rename them, place them in a unique layer and then import everything else afterwards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report