Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Blender to 3ds Max, Help Please!

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
saintgrimm
4822 Views, 6 Replies

Moving from Blender to 3ds Max, Help Please!

I'm not sure if this is the correct section, but I'm needing a little help getting used to this new interface. I'm hoping to use 3ds to better model for Skyrim.

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to do the following things in 3ds by explaining how to do it in blender.

Firstly, I need to know how to enter "edit" mode. I've figured out how to view the vertices, but I need to be able to see each individual face similar to hitting the tab button in blender.

I also need to know how to view the model as a wireframe.

wireframe.jpg

And how to connect objects into a single mesh. I tried using the compound thingy, but it added lines from the shoulder to the waste I don't want there. I want it to remain exactly how the model is, but instead of being in 5 parts, just 1 single piece.

joinobjects.jpg

Also, is there any way to pan/rotate the camera without using the box at the top OR the middle mouse button? When i click down on my mouse wheel, it does nothing, I think it quit working awhile back. The wheel itself works, but clicking it does not.

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
saintgrimm
in reply to: saintgrimm

15 hours and no reply... If the community was all that mattered, I'd already be back on blender by now... How hard is it for someone to just say "press # button"???

Message 3 of 7
brttd

Editing objects can be done differently, you will probably want your object to be an editable_poly (select object, right click, convert to, editable poly). The modify panel on the right will then display various tools you can use, the first should be changing sub-object selection (vertices/edges/faces), clicking on one of them will change you into that sub-object mode. You can also use the 1/2/3/4/5 keys to change into the different sub-object modes.

Wireframe has a hotkey, I think it's f4, but I have changed mine so it's possible it's something different by default. You can also change it by clicking on the items in the top-left corner of the viewport, where you can change to different views, change from shaded, realistic, wireframe, and various other options (the last one will show what you are in (realistic by default), clicking on it shows the other options).

Joining objects is quite simple, if you have an editable poly, scroll down on the modify panel. There should be an attach objects button, press this and then click on any objects you want to join.

All of the hotkeys, camera controls, and menus can be changed in customize > customize user interface (top menu bar).

A lot of useful stuff can be found on the help (http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2015/ENU/ (If you have a different version, go on help > Autodesk 3ds max help (top menu bar))), like http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-212A9477-E69E-4174-BB6F-1B7FD97A4281, which shows you all of the different parts of the interface, and then you can go further and explore the individual elements of each.

This forum isnt the best, but generally you will get a reply sooner or later, and failing that, going on the help or googling it should help.

Message 4 of 7
PROH

BTW - press F1 for help. When asking absolute basic questions, this might several times faster than the forum. The Max help files are actually pretty good 🙂
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 5 of 7
jlarocque

@saintgrimm wrote:

15 hours and no reply... If the community was all that mattered, I'd already be back on blender by now... How hard is it for someone to just say "press # button"???

What's harder: a) posting three elementary questions with screen shots, sitting around for 15 hours, then coming back to bash the community; or b) pressing the F1 button?

15 hours + F1 will take you places.

Message 6 of 7
saintgrimm

Thank you for finally replying! Will help me out a lot! 🙂

I watched the help file on panning and rotating the screen. Didn't tell me anything I wanted to know so didn't watch any others.

And bashing the community, I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call it that, consider it helpful critizism to keep people away from free competitors like blender... However, After well over a year of using blender, I have yet had to wait over 1 hour to get a reply on the blender forums. I was absolutely surprised when I returned and didn't have a single reply.

Message 7 of 7
dgorsman

Look at it another way: participation here is voluntary.  Those who are using this software are likely to be busy working rather than posting.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report