Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing 'scene states manager'

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
4587 Views, 29 Replies

Missing 'scene states manager'

I can't get the 'manage scene states'-window to pop up. Tried to access it both thru the quad-menu as well as the tools-dropdown. Is there anybody out there, with the same problem?

I've used it in previous versions, where it worked fine -for me.
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

If you open it, do the Tools > Manage Scene States option have a "tick" beside it? If it does, the dialog is probably just off-screen.

Open Max, open the dialog. Without pressing any other keys or mouse buttons:-
Alt+Spacebar
M
then use the Cursor Keys to bring it back into view.

If you changed from a 2 monitor system to a single monitor (the most common cause of this issue) you will likely find other dialogs with the same problem. The same procedure should work for the vast majority of them.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous

Thanks Steve

No, the funny thing is that I'm unable to tick the 'Manage Scene States'. It's just like this feature is removed from the program, though it still appears in the different menus.

I just wanted to know if other users had the same experience with the 2013-version (64-bit by the way), before I did anything else...
Message 4 of 30
Steve_Curley

It's definitely there - no problem viewing that dialog here.

Could be corruption of configuration files - try renaming your enu folder then restarting Max (it will create a new, clean one). If it doesn't help you can put your old one back.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks again Steve

Instead I've installed the 3 updates, and now it's working... -just downloaded and started using 2013, and didn't expect 3 updates already...
Message 6 of 30
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Good that the updates fixed the problem.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous

And then, after a restart, it's gone again. Can you make any sense of that?
Message 8 of 30
Steve_Curley

Nope - unless my original guess was right and there's a config file problem.

Oh, and you only needed PU3 - the readme recommends you uninstall 2 and 1 before applying 3.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous

You were probably right Steve, and I also started getting 'invalid flyout button ID'-error, which Autodesk themselves says require a deletion of the maxStartUI. In the 2012-version at least.

Didn't help me though, so I went for a total reinstall. Seems like it did the trick, but keeping my fingers crossed 🙂
Message 10 of 30
bobweb

I have the same problem, it is a fresh install of 3ds Max 2013 with PU 3. Renaming the ENU-folder did not change it. It is also no problem of two monitors, since my second monitor is switched on and does not show the Manage Scene States window either.
Just nothing happens at all, when clicking Tools - Manage Scene States, no window, no tick.
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: bobweb

Sorry for the late reply. Actually it disappeared again, but several total re-installs later it seemed like I made it work.

And then, just today, I found that Autodesk adressed exactly this issue in their update4: "A program error while using Scene States has been fixed." -Happy days 🙂
Message 12 of 30
Steve_Curley
in reply to: bobweb

Good that it was fixed. Pays to keep an eye on the updates page - it is usually updated before the forums are.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous

thanks for all the information about this problem, but I have PU6 now installed on Max Design 2013 64-bit and I have this problem. I am just trying the removal of PU6 and to try and clean up the install, so I'll report back when I'm done... I can't believe the updates take SOOO long!
Message 14 of 30
Anonymous

further to my post above:

I failed to un-install pu6, and suspected that there had been something wrong with the way I installed the updates in the first place. I therefore un-installed Max2013 completely and reinstalled. It worked fine. then I did the update, pu6 and it worked fine. I restarted my computer, restarted Max2013 and now it doesn't work again!!

Anyone go any ideas? Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill
Message 15 of 30
Valatiel

Just reporting the same issue here. Fresh install of 2013 Design 64-bit with the 6th update and can't get to the manager or even save states via direct quad instruction. If they fixed it in pu4, seems they broke it again by pu6.
Message 16 of 30
Anonymous

same problem here
Message 17 of 30
vangel76

Here is how I solved it:

I logged on in Windows as Admin user, started 3dsmax started the Scene State Manager and it works.
Going back to my user and it works also.
Message 18 of 30
悠長崎3770
in reply to: vangel76

I had same problem.
And then, Vangel76's solution works in my case!
Thank you very much,Vangel76.

Message 19 of 30
^lele^

It didn't work, in my case, with max 2016 under win 8.1.

I created the new user, logged it, launched max, the scene state dialog appears correctly.
The INI file is changed to have this section added:

[DialogResizer_SizeAndPositions]
MXSDebugFloater=270 223 582 429 1
SceneStateManageDialog=0 0 264 234 1

I logged the user out, logged back into mine, launched max, and the scene state dialog didn't come up.
I proceeded to paste the line into the INI file, restart max, and no change.

Message 20 of 30
gregg_lagnese
in reply to: ^lele^

This worked for me!  Good solution!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report