Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing face in render

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
BraXzy
932 Views, 9 Replies

Missing face in render

Hey there!

I'm pretty new with 3DS Max so I keep bumping into errors I can't work out. I've currently got an issue where faces aren't showing when rendered. The object doesn't easily allow me to use swift loop either. Any ideas?

EDIT: CHECK LAST POST PLEASE!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Steve_Curley
in reply to: BraXzy

Your model is partly inside-out. Select the model, right-click > Object Properties, turn on Backface Cull. You should then see the same in the viewport as in the render. Any polys you can see the "inside" of need to be selected and flipped. You may find it easier to select those you CAN see the outside of and flip them, then select all (Ctrl+A) and flip the lot.

If you can't fix it, remove everything but that model, save it as a new scene (so you don't lose the original scene), zip it then attach it to a reply so we can take a look at it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 10
BraXzy

Hey thanks I think I've got it fixed it seems fine in render and I can swift loop it now (I moved the extrusion to the other side of the "middle" and then flipped it)

Now I'm at a rookie wall I can't get over and it must be so simple.. I made an object that went a bit wacky and when I deleted it my viewport was in the middle of nowhere, can't find the rest of my scene.

What do you press to move to the centre of the "world" so to speak?
Message 4 of 10
Steve_Curley

There's a couple of buttons, bottom-right of the main window, controlling the Zoom. One is for the current viewport, the other for all viewports (the right one of the two). Click/hold that one and select the upper of the 2 flyout options,then click the button. That should center the scene in all the viewports. You may need to zoom in to get to the origin.

Or just create an object (a small box will do), move it to the origin by right-clicking the spinners at the bottom of the Max window, then repeat the earlier suggestion but select the lower of the 2 flyout options (zoom extents all selected ). Then delete that temporary object.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 10
BraXzy

Rather than make another thread thought I'd ask in this one..

I now have the problem that one of the objects I have made completely messes up when I remove turbo smooth, yet renders normally and the verts are shown in the right place, any ideas?

Message 6 of 10
Steve_Curley

I'd suspect the order of modifiers in the stack is the problem. Assuming there are are 2 of the objects in the image, either side of the main model, then I'd try changing the order like so:-

Mirror
Turbo Smooth
Symmetry
Editable Poly

As before, if you can't fix it, post a zipped scene with just the offending object(s).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 10
BraXzy

Hey steve thanks for all the help so far, that last problem sorted itself out funnily enough.

Now I've got another one 😕 never stops! Basically I want a pointed "Dagger" so to speak, but I can't have any tri's (Must be all quad's) and I don't know how to make it work the way I want.

It is basically a blade with a slanted edge and the end of it has a couple tri's. Any ideas?

Added the MAX file so you can have a look if need be

Another thing, I want the swift loop to go through the section following the bottom line if possible?

Message 8 of 10
Steve_Curley

The file didn't make it - it must be zipped. See this post for help with attachments.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 9 of 10
BraXzy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sz61nxamrn2kvo/Gun.max?m

It's already on dropbox so is this ok?
Message 10 of 10
Steve_Curley

It's ok, though we normally prefer files to be zipped and attached directly to a post (not a comment). I'll have a look tomorrow (nearly 11PM here) though it may be tricky to get ALL quads with a shape like that.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report