Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max files take ages to open

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
drendir
10198 Views, 3 Replies

Max files take ages to open

Hey,

We're experiencing Max files that won't open in less then 3 houres...

For the last 2 to 3 weeks we've been looking into the network and the network (in)stability cause we assumed that the networks' speed is the bottleneck.

Now when googling "Max files open very slow" i've come across this:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax...

and this:

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxstation/n170-filebloat-removing-lots-of-empty-retimers

My question is simple: do these bugs still exist in Max 2015? At this time it's 14:00 and the file has been opening since 12:00, if it ever opens I will check if it helps to run this "Clear-Retimer" script...

Can someone explain to me what a Retimer is and if I should be careful with deleting all of them?

It's a max-file with about 16 Xrefs in it, it's an urban-scene with alot of work put into it and everything has become slow.

The renders take ages, the opening of the file takes ages, and the settings are really the same as they've always been and I do think we're using settings that are optimal.

We use "compress on save" to limit the file size and now it's about 100Mb with about 11 Xrefs who are each roughly 50Mb each

In total we could say it's about 1Gb file size uncompressed if every Xref would be merged.

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JamesClarke3D
in reply to: drendir

I've got some big scenes that take a while to open but never got anywhere near that bad time wise, 10-15 minutes at the most I would guess. I've never adopted a compressed file workflow for some reason. I've read on other posts that comrpessing the file will make it take longer to save (because its compressing the data) - I would hazard to guess that the same would hold true for file open, when it has to un-compress?
Do you have large modifier stacks that have to be evaluated at load time?
I'fe your up for some scripting - I found a handy xref hack on my last big project where you set the xref as #noload, so it doesnt open in your local file, but will when you submit to the renderfarm. It's a bit of a manual hack you have to manage but it saved me when working with huge xrefs when all i wanted to do was open a quick tiny master file, tweak camera, and re-render.
---------------------------
| LinkedIn | @SnipeyX |
Message 3 of 4
drendir
in reply to: JamesClarke3D

We solved it, it's the retimers...

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 4 of 4
saksham3d
in reply to: drendir

hello

one of my max file is taking very long time to open

although it's not taking time in saving

file size is 9.46 mb

i tried all attached scripts but no use

on using

clean retimer it's giving msg: --Unknown property: "numRetimers" in undefined

empty retimer msg same as clean retimer

retimer it's giving msg: --Unknown property: "controller" in undefined

please help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report