Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max 2016: Objects not visible in layer manager...

93 REPLIES 93
SOLVED
Message 1 of 94
jens.diemer
36888 Views, 93 Replies

max 2016: Objects not visible in layer manager...

I have some scene files, with objects that aren't visible in layer manager:

bug1.pngbug2.pngbug3.png

Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs | https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches
Tags (2)
93 REPLIES 93
Message 41 of 94
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: dstinct

Hello @dstinct,

If you have a simple scene with this problem, please attach it and I'll put it in the tracker database.  

@everyone else, currently I am having trouble finding the steps that allow this to occur in the first place.  If anyone has any ideas behind roughly how this happens, please share so I can reproduce it and log that into the tracker so the devs know what to look for.  If you have any scenes that are sharable, please attach them and I will also attach them in the tracker. If we compare notes we may be able to figure out why this happens or at least what is causing it.  

It might also be nice if members of this thread would please post their current plugins, just in case.  

Best Regards,

Message 42 of 94

here's a simple scene... i imported a vehicle and it's in there but not on any layers.

Message 43 of 94

Hello @CRAengineer,

Thank you for the scene file, I very much appreciate it.  Have a great weekend!

Best Regards,

Message 44 of 94

any luck with that file alfred?

Message 45 of 94

Hello @CRAengineer,

I apologize for not following up here, I did post it into the tracker to be looked and there has been some discussion activity over this issue in the past week or two but no resolution.  I've also done some testing on my end to find a workaround.  The problem as of right now is that it's unable to be reproduced.  

It might help if anyone listed which plugins they are using in the case it's caused by a plugin.  Finding the cause is currently the hold-up. 

Best Regards,

Message 46 of 94

plugins i have3 are from itoo software...

glue
forest pack
rail clone
Message 47 of 94

I tried the script that is listed as the solution and did not work.

Max 2017, no plugins.

layer = LayerManager.newLayer()
for n in (selection as array) do layer.addnode n
-- Unknown property: "addnode" in undefined
-- MAXScript callstack:
-- thread data: threadID:17236
-- ------------------------------------------------------
-- [stack level: 0]
-- In n loop
-- Parameters:
-- n: $Editable_Poly:body @ [100.918694,0.000000,45.112587]
-- Locals:
-- n: $Editable_Poly:body @ [100.918694,0.000000,45.112587]
-- layer: undefined
-- Externals:
-- owner: undefined
-- [stack level: 1]
-- called from top-level

Message 48 of 94

Hello @KatePittman5899,

The script definitely works, at least for all the tests I've done.  Can you please detail a bit where you entered it and how you executed it?  Is there any way I can get my hands on the file to test with?

If you enter it in en empty scene, do you get the same error?  

Best Regards,

Message 49 of 94

I opened maxscript listener and pasted it there and hit enter.

I worked around this issue (no time to waste- it's my job) by exporting the model as fbx then importing it into a new scene. Worked.
Prior to that I had tried merging it into a new scene. I can probably recreate the problem and upload the file, hang on.

Message 50 of 94

Ok here's the file. Tried the script again and noticed that when I had no objects selected it said "OK" (1) but as soon as I selected my model, it failed (2). See "script.jpg"

Message 51 of 94

Hello @KatePittman5899,

Thanks for posting that.  I edited your post and removed the model since it looks like it maybe purchased and I wanted to keep it private.  I do have it on my desktop now. 

I think the problem is the execution.  When you paste those two lines in the listener, then select them both and use the NumPad enter to execute them.  When I do this with the model, it works for me.  Can you please try that?  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 52 of 94

a small update in response to my own post above (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/max-2016-objects-not-visible-in-layer-manager/m-p/659547...)

the model i had imported came from an online reseller and was MERGED into that file above.  I recently repurchased some files from the same seller and again merged the files to my scene.  To my dismay, the same issue continued with the objects not being seen on any layer.

Instead on running the script, I went back to the original file and adjusted the model there, relayered, and resaved the file to my current max version (2016 sp4 at the time of this writing).  I then went back to the man scene and tried to remerge and VIOLA... my model was there, layered appropriately and visible.

So, was it the relayering or resaving to current max file or a bit of both?

This has so far helped me and hopes it helps someone else too.  I wonder if the root issue is incompatibility between older files being MERGED into newer scenes?

Message 53 of 94

Hello @CRAengineer,

I've done some testing there, but merging seems to work for me.  But I think you are correct in that it might be part of it, with one more property that is causing the problem that I cannot nail down.  A plugin, maybe a custom property, something.  Thank you for posting the information, it is helpful. 

--

Did the script work for you with the instructions in my latest post @KatePittman5899?  

Best Regards,

Message 54 of 94

Alfred,

I have a source file and merged file in the encrypted zip-file below.

If you open the source the vehicle is on the appropriate layer and visible in the layers tree.

If you open the merged file, the vehicle is in there but not visible in the tree.

Resaving the source file to the current version (2016 sp4) and then merging into a new/blank scene everything works.

The only plugins I have are from itoo software (glue, forestpack & railclone).

Note: The file is encrypted and needs a pw, I'll send it via pm if i can.

Message 55 of 94

Yes I see this @CRAengineer, thank you for the information.  

When I open the source in 2016 or 2017, all the layers are there.  When I merge it, they are missing.  I do see this and I can repro this with the files.  I will update the tracker now.  

Best Regards,

Message 56 of 94
MrPoopyButthole
in reply to: dstinct

Out of freaking nowhere, this happens to me as well now. A new one! 

WHy does it say "resolved"? I don't see any solution here. I tried that script and nothing does it:

layer = LayerManager.newLayer()
for n in (selection as array) do layer.addnode n
-- Unknown property: "addNode" in undefined
-- MAXScript callstack:
-- thread data: threadID:106144
-- [stack level: 0]
-- In n loop
-- Parameters:
-- n: $Editable_Mesh:EAR_FRAG_00 @ [-0.816734,7.542266,-0.119949]
-- Locals:
-- layer: undefined
-- n: $Editable_Mesh:EAR_FRAG_00 @ [-0.816734,7.542266,-0.119949]
-- Externals:
-- owner: undefined
-- [stack level: 1]
-- called from top-level

Aaaaarghh! 

Message 57 of 94

the script works for me as you have it when all the objects in question are selected.

if they're not selected, the script just creates an empty layer.

i've attached the script in .ms form as i use it (save as without the .txt extension)

Message 58 of 94

Hello @MrPoopyButthole,

I'm not sure how you are executing the script, but if you're doing it via the listener you need to select both lines of code and use NumPad enter.  If you have an object selected, it should work.  I've tested this many times, so please try that for me again one more time and see if it resolves your issue.  Thank you!

Best Regards,

Message 59 of 94

I wonder if this problems with the Layer-Explorer arise from older files that where using a specific 3rd party solutions for layer managment.

Namely the Outliner script which stored layer definitions in custom attributes. I was plagued by this kind of files that mysteriously rebuild layers on their own even when i deleted them. Next time i opened these files, the layers where back. Probably something to look for.

Message 60 of 94
dbrainard
in reply to: aon.914858227

That's an interesting suggestion aon, however I've never used 3rd party app's to do anything related to scene organization and I'm still experiencing this issue. The script that was mentioned above, does work for me and is what I am using at the moment whenever the issues arises. For me, my scenes tend to get weird layer behavior when I begin to merge items from older projects, even content from some fairly notable content suppliers like Evermotion, TurboSquid, etc. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report