Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2016 File Link

63 REPLIES 63
SOLVED
Message 1 of 64
uplink3d
7561 Views, 63 Replies

Max 2016 File Link

I'm getting an error when reloading an autocad dwg linked in max 2016....

"File Link Question

The drawing file no longer contains objects that can be linked.

Either objects have been deleted from the drawing, or you layer filter settings are excluding additional objects. The reload will delete all previously linked objects."

I haven't deleted or changed any layers. There are definitely still objects on the layers. Same problem in two different projects.

If I select OK, all the linked objects disappear. Then I reload the dwg again and they are back, but having lost materials and UVW maps.

Any ideas?

63 REPLIES 63
Message 41 of 64
Lino2
in reply to: KenExton2014

Hi everyone.

Please try to check the list of the fixed icluded in this sevice pack1...personally I do not find any reference or mentiont to file link manager with Autocad. Am I wrong?

Please Jhonatan, reply.

Message 42 of 64
Anonymous
in reply to: Lino2

Yep, another worthless service pack!!!
I read the update list and could not find a single reference to AutoCad file linking. What concerns me more is that I see a lot of references to Revit importing and linking.

Im not sure we are even on the radar.

...And I'm also sorry to say to you Jonathan Matthews that you should be embarrassed to post information you have not even verified as correct. But then again, that's a perfect reflection of how AutoDesk as a whole, has been treating this.

Dear AutoDesk,
I would like to return 2016. How can I get a full refund for 2016? This is an incomplete product, you sold me. I'm back using 2014, because 2015 had its own set of silly bugs. Seriously AutoDesk, STOP releasing buggy headaches every year and please focus on solid clean releases when appropriate.

We are all waiting to hear from you Jonathan. Any excuse to calm the storm would be a good idea.

Message 43 of 64
juliangalar
in reply to: Anonymous

Revit link and error in render glass. Autodesk more seriously please. Very disappointed.

Message 44 of 64
Anonymous
in reply to: uplink3d

Smiley MadBoom!

error.jpg

Message 45 of 64
VishnuR

Hi everyone thanks for your updates.

Our apologies for the issues this has caused you all.

We've sent engineering your feedback and having teams re-focus on these.

I'll forward you info as any significant news arrives on all this.

Stay tuned...

Its priority is high.

For your question on refunds please see below:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/subscription-management/manage-con...

Best Regards

VR

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 46 of 64
juliangalar
in reply to: VishnuR

render revit

revit.jpg

render max

max.jpg

Message 47 of 64
uplink3d

Soooo what exactly were you referring to in the following message I received on July 17?

Hi Lincoln,

I've taken over your case and checked this for you.

The fix is already undergoing testing and  looks good so far.
Seems engineering just needs to be sure it does not break other parts
of 3ds Max prior to public release, as that could make things even worse for users.

No date set but it will be soon from what I'm told.
( once final QA testing is fully complete ) 

I shall reclose this case to transfer it back to our engineering team
however you can reply to this email to check the status as needed. 

Also check below twice a month , as I know several other users also 
logged this as high priority so its status is getting lots of attention.

http://autodesk.com/3dsmax-servicepacks

Best regards,

Vishnu Ramdass
Autodesk Support Team

Message 48 of 64
juliangalar

Revit to FBX. link FBX to MAX. (problem units) and RENDER OK.

fbx.jpg

Message 49 of 64
VishnuR
in reply to: juliangalar

If any of you are still getting File Link issues please post a sample file here so we can reproduce the issue.

Include pics of needed.

Some users are reporting it works for them, others report the problem continues.

I'll like to get pics and scene files of those still encountering problems so we can help you.

Also what build are you using ? 

Is it P490?

Best Regards

VR

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 50 of 64
Anonymous

In reply to the autocad/filelink issue, I have discovered that all of the original files (max2016) I was using with 2016 still have this issue with SP1.  However, I took the time to experiment with new files (max2016) using the sp1 patch and the problem may have been solved? 

I have not spent enough time in the files to confirm this, but I suggest everyone start over with fresh max files. 

I can only assume whatever glitch was in the original release still exists in the database records of max files that were used with it and they need to be relinked/reset.

Again, I cannot confirm this, but suggest everyone give it a try.

Message 51 of 64
jonathan.matthews

Hello everyone-

We, Vishnu and I, have heard back from development that the existing links for AutoCAD or REVIT files in your 3ds Max scene files contain mapping keys that need to be replaced in order for the links to work correctly.  The suggested fix is to delete the current linked file and re-link the file instead of simply re-loading.  A better solution; which we know is not the best situation; would be to start over with a fresh 3ds Max scene file.  I have personally tested the above suggested fix and it has worked for me internally.  

So to confirm the posting from yeeha68 it does sound like re-linking not re-loading should repair the disappearing model issues.  

Please test and post your findings here.  Thank you everyone for your time and patience.

Best Regards,

Jonathan Matthews

Autodesk Technical Support.

Message 52 of 64

I hope thats only a suggested workaround and not the real answer.  FWIW.  I have started new files in 3ds max 2016 SP1 with new linked revit 2016 models and they break. My issue is NOT related to upgrading old models.

Russ Green
Message 53 of 64

Hello russ.green-

I apologize if you have noted this before, but what is breaking on your models?  Geometry?  Materials?  Thank you for your time.

Message 54 of 64

Hi, Have been working with fresh max files and linking Autocad files for the last couple of days now, and fingers crossed all seems to be working fine. So it looks like sp1 has done the trick and the problem has been solved. Must admit, I've lost some confidence in Autodesk over this. 

Message 55 of 64
russ.green
in reply to: KenExton2014

My model will periodically not reload linked Revit files......I have some active support cases in because I am convinced  there is still a serious bug in SP1  not being able to correctly handle linked Revit models

Russ Green
Message 56 of 64
Lino2
in reply to: jonathan.matthews

Hi jonathan,

unfortunately nothing is working at all (scene empty after reload), however
I tried a fresh 2016 file after SP1 installation and, until now, re-link is
working.

I would like to try with another one before celebrating. In a few days I
will generate another one hoping to succeed for me and for You. I will keep
everybody informed about it a s soon as I have another succesful re-linking.

Best regards. Lino.
Message 57 of 64
Anonymous

I can confirm the posts of yeeha68 and Lino2

After installing SP1:
1) reloading dwg in a file, which was linked in 3dsMax without SP1 > reload doesn't work (materials still get lost)
2) Linking dwg in 3dsMax with SP1 > reload seems to work.

For me the problem seems to be solved, but this was my first attempt - I hope it will work again 😉
I'll let you hear if I have problems again ...
Best regards, and thanks for the SP
Charly

Message 58 of 64
uplink3d

yup, it works now (with a fresh max file). hooray.

Message 59 of 64
Lino2

Dear Jonhatan,

Your suggestion to delete the current linked file and re-link the file instead of simply re-loading it works, of course, however proceeding in such way make you loose materials and maps. Consequently it is better to start with a brand new SP1 file.

Anyway, I tried with a brand new file (second one right now) and everything is working (until now with the second trial) even better than 2005 release. I tried a third one without succeding. It probably contains something wrong (still remaining) in the data base.

I hope the next coming projects will confirm a correct behaviour.

I will keep You informed about it.

Best regerds to everyone.

Lino.  

Message 60 of 64
Anonymous
in reply to: Lino2

I just wanted to report my experience with a recent project, a fairly complicated urban apartment block.  I model in AutoCAD and link to 3dsMax for rendering.  In the past 8 years, I have never had a project with any degree of complication that didn't break the link at some point.  In other words, after modifying the original model in AutoCAD a few times, especially if it involved blocks, the link would no longer work.  That meant having to reassign UV maps and materials for every element, and worse, losing whatever geometry I had changed in Max.

I always thought each year's new release of Max would finally fix the problem, but decided, hey, I guess it's just a permanent issue.

Well I'm happy to say that for this last project, even with substantial revisions, the link never broke once. It's only one file, so I can't say it's a solved problem, but this made me very happy.  Hope it's a fix!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report