Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2015 viewport objects disappearing when using rectangle selection

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
rawalanche
1607 Views, 18 Replies

Max 2015 viewport objects disappearing when using rectangle selection

Hi, does anyone have any idea how to fix this crap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DVZb1KJoLg ?

It's newly introduced bug/feature of Max 2015. Disabling adaptive degradation does not help. Nor does disabling any sort of antialiasing. Going to legacy D3D driver is not an option because it performs way worse than nitrous.

Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
eric.paris
in reply to: rawalanche

I suspect a problem with your graphic card or your drivers.

On this link you can see that your graphic card is not compatible, but not means it shouldn't work correctly. You could try a new driver or an older one.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534&results=1&stype=graphic&produ...

Is it possible that you have this problem only with this scene and other big scenes, probably you won't have this problem with a single cube in the scene? On my 3ds Max 2015, i just tried with 2 massive scenes and i don't have that kind of problem.

Are you using a special device, for example a tablet or 3d mouse, i saw some problems in the past when these devices where not fully updated with the latest drivers.

And of course, make sure you have all available updates installed for 3ds Max.

Message 3 of 19
rawalanche
in reply to: eric.paris

Hi, sorry my signature is way out of date. I currently have i7 3930k and GTX680, which is supported according to the page. Other than that, my scene is actually huge, entire CG forest, the car is just isolated selection. I found that to me, this issue actually happens mostly in very big scenes.

As for the drivers, downgrading drivers is really not an option. I need my GPU drivers always up to date because of other software.
Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 4 of 19
eric.paris

Ok, probably the size of your scene that cause this problem, i would suspect that your video card is not enterly capable of dealing with massive 3d scenes. If you can try your scene with a high-end graphic card like the Quadro K4000 for example, could be a good test. I also have some minor glitch with my Geforce GTX 570.

Message 5 of 19
rawalanche

A, K4000 is a lot lower end than GTX680

B, This wasn't the problem with Max 2014. It's introduced in Max 2015.

C, Performance-wise, scenes run just fine. This one particular has 13M of unique polygons, yet it runs at 60+ FPS.

Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 6 of 19
spacefrog_

Do you have desktop composition enabled ? ( windows setting, essentially the Aero thingy )

I seem to remember posts saying that having it enabled may introduce various viewport problems

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 7 of 19
rawalanche
in reply to: spacefrog_

I do, but disabling it is not an option either. It disables double buffering, meaning any videos will play with horizontal tearing. It also seems that Nitrous has problem with basic theme, as every time i switch theme to basic (with disabled composition) whenever caddies are present in viewport, viewport orbit becomes jerky. Everything is fine with Aero.

Lastly, i doubt it's desktop composition problem, since Windows 8.1 i use at home uses new, a lot faster window manager, yet i get same problems on my home computer as well....
Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 8 of 19
eric.paris

A lot lower end card that cost the double of the GTX680?

Message 9 of 19
rawalanche

Yes... definitely. Times when Quadro series had edge over gaming cards vanished once Nitrous viewport was implemented into 3ds Max. Nowadays, you pay the additional money for some sort of placebo warranty and tech support.

Unfortunatelly i could not find a direct comparison between these two specific cards in Max, but here's Maya at least: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-workstation-graphics-card,review-32728-8.html
Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 10 of 19
eric.paris

Personnaly i would go with the GeForce GTX680, it is the great debate if Quadro cards are really better than Geforce for CAD applications. Quadro cards are supposed to be optimized for our 3d apps, but i am not sure this is advantageous when comparing prices.

Anyway, i was just suggesting to try another video card to see the difference.

Message 11 of 19
rawalanche

I am quite confident it's not GPU nor the driver problem. Really, any other version than 2015 runs fine. It's some bug that autodesk introduced along the way. My hope when creating this thread was that someone knows some knob or ini string i could disable to get rid of the problem, as that's how it works most of the time 🙂
Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 12 of 19
Brock_Lafond

I too have experienced this glitch from time to time. The geometry just loses its visibility, but is still selectable.

Another way I've found to invoke it is to use the link tool.

It's not always consistent though; sometimes it glitches, sometimes not.

Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 13 of 19
drendir

Sorry. No. We have the same at work: Nvidia Titan cards.

Like Rawalanche said: 2014 ok, 2015 not ok.

And I dont use windows aero, i use the primitive windows graphics.

We've been dealing with it for some time.

Rawalanche: when the objects dissapears, it doesn't have to happen through rectangular selection, we simply have it when selecting objects around the scene as well. Giving it a few seconds reloads the ghost objects back in to life. (no need to pan or move the view to force reload them, max just reloads them automaticaly, only it can take some seconds)

Our scenes are heavy though. No doubt there. Should that be a reason though?

Dont know why. (we also don't use adaptive degradation so can't be that either)

grts

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 14 of 19
rawalanche
in reply to: Brock_Lafond

Yes, ineed, it's still selectable, just invisible. It's pretty annoying when doing precise selections, so that you have to stop the rectangular selection before you select more than you needed. It is also very random, sometimes just moving perspective view to different angle helps. And indeed, link tool seems to trigger it even more often than usual.

Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 15 of 19
eric.paris
in reply to: drendir

Someone can zip and attach a scene where you have this problem?

I would be curious to try it, i just tried many things and big scenes but i wasn't able to reproduce this problem.

Message 16 of 19
spacefrog_

i would be curious too for a repro scene

i do not work in Max 2015 that much ( still rely on 2014 mainly ) and would like the check this out

( i got a Nvidia EVGA 780GTX/ 6GB just for reference)

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 17 of 19
rawalanche

I can't share this particular scene, but i may try to create some synthetic one, which shows the issue.

Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 18 of 19
pdawkins

Anyone found the fix on this yet??

Message 19 of 19
mcernello

I´m experiencing the same glitch with max 2015. Objects disappear when selecting in orthogonal view in any of the normal views (i.e., front, back, right, left). Objects do not disappear when selecting if the gizmo is rotated at any other angle. Strange.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report