Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2014 SP1 Containers - xrefscenes - Usage

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Arnaud-3DMS
1962 Views, 2 Replies

Max 2014 SP1 Containers - xrefscenes - Usage

Containers :
I'm working on an architectural project in which i have several Model of windows, railings, moldings, and i want to keep possibility of modification.
i've created maxc files for each reference of model.

Is it normal that Containers increase drastically the time of loading a scene ?
i though it optimized memory loading

Xrefscenes :
I noticed bugs loading a scene which use xref scenes, several times i get this message :

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

If you use the same materials between objects don't use containers. There are a bunch of things that aren't great about containers. I recommend just staying away from them unless you work in an evironment where you need something in the scene that someone else is doing 100% and you don't touch it at all. 

Xref scenes is a bit touchy as well. I'm not surprised at the note you got there.

I would choose Xref Objects, and just choose everything in the scene. Merge materials, merge modifiers (you need this if you have done UVW mapping that might need changing later), and merge controllers. For the love of god, merge controllers!

That allows you to reference everything externally, keeping your file size small, but other than it taking a bit longer to open, it will seem as if everything is built in to your file. Since you merge materials, if you have a shared material between scenes, they will merge together so when you make a change to one, it happens to the other. This does NOT happen with containers unless you leave the container open. If you leave the container open, it does NOTHING for you. It's one of the very frustrating things about containers. 

So my suggestion is only xref the geometry only, which is the steps I gave above. Using that is the easiest to go ahead and change your mind later as well.

Message 3 of 3

Thanks for the answer andy.engelkemier

I'm cleaning my file (trying) and removing the containers.

It really sucks this problem with containers, why putting this fonctionnality if it's bugged.

I crashed after trying to recover my instances in my Max File.

3dsmax 2014 SP1 crashed after merging numerous containers selection

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report