Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 14 Extension Pointcloud visible in viewport but not rendering with mentalray

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
hashemian
870 Views, 6 Replies

Max 14 Extension Pointcloud visible in viewport but not rendering with mentalray

I have installed Extension for 3D max 2014 (154mb file) and it works as far as loading point cloud to max but it's not rendering .

The only tabs I see for point cloud objects are "name and color" "pointcloud source" "display" and limitbox volume" and there are no tabs for render setting.

I have switch my renderer to mental ray and still no render.

I can only see them in viewport. The videos I looked on youtube show that there's a tab for mental ray rendering setting But I don't have that,

Ar ethere different version of extension out there?

Am I missing  something?

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
acad-gatsu
in reply to: hashemian

make sure your renderer is set to mental ray

check your level of detail settings. may be rendering too low a % of the points. refer to the help page for point cloud object parameters.

Message 3 of 7
hashemian
in reply to: acad-gatsu

If you had read my post you would see that I have already set the renderer to mental ray and in point cloud parameter for point cloud object I do not have the tab for render settings.

Message 4 of 7
acad-gatsu

i edited the post. try the level of detail settings under the Display rollout of the point cloud object parameters

Message 5 of 7
tony.su

First of all, you can try to rename max setting folder
1. exit 3ds max
2.rename this folder
Windows 7 C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\<version>
Windows XP C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsMax\<version>
3.lunch max and try it again

If it don't work, send me the point cloud file, I can test for you.

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 6 of 7
hashemian
in reply to: tony.su

When I change the viewport to perspective veiw. Point cloud will render but from isometric view (i.e top view) it does not render.
Message 7 of 7
besit666

Same issue, no point cloud at rendering, with mental ray. Nothing in 3ds Max help on internet about rendering.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums