Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

material display question

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
294 Views, 6 Replies

material display question

I am working on setting up a mock photography studio with a typical roll out backdrop.

I have a picture of an actual mottled backdrop.  I've created an Arch & Design material, wiring a bitmap of the backdrop to the Diffuse Color Map of the material.  That might not be the best way but I'm a newbie so that's my reason.

I put a UVW map on the backdrop and then wired the Arch & Design Material to it.  It renders as expected but the mottled material does not display in the viewport even though I did turn on Show Shaded Material in Viewport in the Slate Material Editor.

How would I get the material to display in the viewport?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CAMedeck
in reply to: Anonymous

In your Bitmap in Slate, you have the Coordinates set to Environ (Screen).  You'll need to click the radio button for Texture.  Since you've got your UVW map set to use Real-World Map Size, you'll also want to enable that in your map.  This way, the size of the mapping is controlled in the Bitmap paramaters rather than through the UVW Map modifier.  It is defaulting to 1" now, so you'll want to increase that accordingly.  

Next is the UVW Map modifier itself.  You have it set to Cylindrical, but if you look at the gizmo it is turned the wrong way to apply to your backdrop.  Near the bottom of the modifier parameters is a section called alignment.  It is set to Z, but you want it to Y.  There was something really weird going on with that modifier, but after cycling through Box, Planar, then Cylindrical again, it seems to have corrected it's U Tile setting.  It had been a million or more at the beginning, but now shows me a value of 347.184.  I also toggled the Real-World Map Size checkbox a couple times.

The alternative would be to not use Real World at all, which may work better for you in this case. Then the tiling and size of the map is controlled mainly through the UVW Map modifier.

Let us know if you still have any problems.

And as an alternative method to create what you've got, I might suggest using a plane.  Use Edit Poly to add more subdivisions at the point you want the bend to occur, apply your UVW Map, then a Bend modifer to turn up the back. 

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: CAMedeck

That's all very confusing.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: CAMedeck

Hi camedeck,

I tried it again.  This time I used the Studio template from Extension 2.  It's the studio setup you can choose when starting 3ds.

I just put a simple box in there and applied a floral wall paper to the backdrop.  It's "Wall Covering Wallpaper-Roses" Autodesk Generic materials.  Why won't the wall paper pattern show up in the viewport?  It renders, but I really want to see at least a facsimili of it in the viewport, with shadows cast on it.

File attached.

Message 5 of 7
Steve_Curley

Confusing? That's vital information - if you don't know what it means, look it up in the help.
To see the material in the viewport simply right-click the material > Show Shaded Material in Viewport (or realistic if you prefer). Or click Views (on the main menu) > Show Materials in Viewports as > Shaded (or Realistic) with Maps. Changing the startup template probably won't help and might well confuse anyone (trying to help) who doesn't have the extension - I'd put it back to the default until you know what it's doing.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks for your help. I didn't mean your explanation was confusing, just that I'm confused. I'm a complete newbie trying to figure all this out on my own.
Message 7 of 7
VishnuR

Steve's right, it works for me when testing with the scene.

See attached pic and where to click to enable it to appear in viewport. Show Shaded Material In Viewport

Vishnu Ramdass

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report