Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MassFX Buoyancy bug

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
437 Views, 10 Replies

MassFX Buoyancy bug

The documentation says this new (came in the Extension) pflow operator should take a plane with a noise or ripple modifier on it. I can only get it to work on a plane with no modifiers on it. Anybody else have this problem? Any workarounds?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Brink_Helsinki
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't understand what you're trying to do.

What is the name of the new pflow operator?

What is the plane used for?
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

@ Ebee: The operator is called "MassFX Buoyancy". The plane is used to define the height of the level that particles will become bouyant up to (the surface of the medium).

It worked for me, but I got unexpected results. The massFX particles seemed to be considerably offset to the plane's surface, although they did gain the movement of the ripples.
Message 4 of 11
Brink_Helsinki

Sorry arxcher, seems like I missed the topic when I opened many threads simultaneously.

I tested the boyancy operator using a plane with a high polycount and a noise modifier, and got _very_ jaggy results in the particles. I'll test it more tomorrow.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Yeah- I can get it to kind of work. Only if i select the plane from the operator when it just a plane primitive with no modifiers. Than if i add a noise modifier afterwards it kind of works but the particles have very weird behavior and dont stay close to the surface. Guess it's a bug.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Ha- Of course now when i go to create a test file for Autodesk support it works. Not sure what's different...
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I mean the motion is better- I still can't get it to except a plane with a modifier on it unless i add the modifier afterwards. Edit: Tried to recreate the example that works in a seperate file with the same problems as before.. I have one magic file now.
Message 8 of 11
Brink_Helsinki

I think I got it. The default integration steps for viewport is one per frame, when I changed it to 1/8 frame all the jagginess disappeared. This is found under the PF Source > System Management.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Cool! I tried that and was still getting weird results- but i'm using a displace modifier. I also tried bumping the subframe factor up in the massfx world helper (that works off the integration step) with no luck. Maybe just doesn't work with the displace modifier but i was hoping it would..
Thanks for testing it!
Message 10 of 11
Brink_Helsinki

arxcher, I'm getting just as good results with a displace-modifier. Tested with a noise map and a bitmap. Can you post a screenshot?
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

I'm also getting it to work sometimes with a displace modifier. But usually if i try a larger scene scale it breaks. Also, I am trying to move the objects along as if they are in a fast current using a massfx force and a wind space warp- which causes very weird particle behavior at larger scales. But it's confusing because sometimes i will see the same behavior at smaller scales... I'm trying to get together a good test case but I'm in a production crunch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report