Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lense effect error

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
junggeehoon
998 Views, 13 Replies

lense effect error

when i apply lense effect to an object, glow's border is to hard.

like the image

how can i solve this problem? asd.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
eodeo
in reply to: junggeehoon

What Max, what renderer what material and what glow?

Also it would help if you post your max scene- with the answers from above.

Message 3 of 14
junggeehoon
in reply to: eodeo

First, thanks for replying ^^

i'm using windows 8.1, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

and 3ds max 2015 student version (x64), mental ray renderer, and it happens all materials (including default material)

Message 4 of 14
junggeehoon

Message 5 of 14
junggeehoon

Message 6 of 14
CAMedeck

In my experience, Mental Ray does not like the Glow lens effect.  

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
junggeehoon
in reply to: CAMedeck

Yes,i know that lense effect is not compatible with mentel ray

but if i look others, still it works...

i built candle, and all stuff, but i didn't make the flame...

Message 8 of 14
eodeo
in reply to: CAMedeck

I haven't used lens effects in a long while. I've just tried them and it doesn't matter what renderer you're using, as long it's a new version of Max. Recently, Max finally began shipping with gamma correction turned on. True enough, lens effects were not designed to work properly with the proper usage of gamma. If you have to use them, go to:

Customize preferences>gamma and LUT>

and disable gamma. Lens effects will render properly, but everything else will not. Key part here is everything else. Now if you're not doing photorealistic rendering- and you really shouldn't be to use lens effects anyway, it shouldn't matter- so you should be good.

The proper (photorealistic) way to do it is to use "glare" output in the "camera shaders" under "renderer" tab of mental ray dialog (f10). It's the one in the middle, unchecked by default. You only need to turn it on. To set it up manualy, just drag it to an open material library slot. With that said, it works as it should out of the box.

It glows only the overexposed parts, and not what you'd like specifically. It is a photorealistic effect, simulating a real camera after all.

Check out the max 2015 scene I've attached.

glow.jpg

Message 9 of 14
eodeo

To make a candle like image- it's always best to use an actual footage of the flame, and composit it over the 3d candle in After Effects or some similar program, like Composite that ships with Max. Failing that, you can just set up a self ilumination in the arch/design material.

candle.jpg

Message 10 of 14
junggeehoon

It works! thank you so~~much!!

it help a lot.

i'm trying to make candle referencing this tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeFnOxW2kqQ

anyway thank you spending time for me, and have nice day 🙂

Message 11 of 14
junggeehoon

are you just enabled "glare" output? and, didn't use lense effect?

can you take a video making of your attachment? thank you.

Message 12 of 14
eodeo

Yes. For the "candle" I'm using glare only.

http://youtu.be/-JfjUCsBqR4

Message 13 of 14
junggeehoon

I understand.

i wonder if i use vray renderer, this lense effect problem still happen.

this is my candle model http://1drv.ms/1tcNz3m

file size is to big to upload this attachment.

if i try using my candle modle camera glow effect is cylinder...

Message 14 of 14
eodeo

Lens effects problem you experience is due to gamma being enabled, as it should be for physically accurate results. Changing rendering solution will not affect this. Maybe Vray has a different glow effect of its own that works the way you want it to. Personally I would advise against vray. It gives best results only when setup properly, but this is fairly difficult to achieve. Also, at best it gives only average quality noticeably slower then mental ray, for example. If you want to try a good rendering solution other than MR, take a look at corona. Its free (at the moment) and really great for geometry dense scenes. However, since you appear to be just starting with rendering, I'd advise just sticking with MR and learning it. It's industry standard, available out of the box across most 3d applications, it is easy to use and produces excellent results fast.

It may be best that you disable gamma and LUT for this specific scene and work with the glow effect described in the tutorial online.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report