Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Manager won't open

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
marsha_r
1191 Views, 2 Replies

Layer Manager won't open

When I click the Layer Manager button in the main ribbon, nothing happens. The button itself highlights in light green, as if the layer manager is open, but I cannot find it. The same thing happens when I try to open it with "Tools," "Manage Layers..." I have dual monitors, but they are both hooked up and I am fairly certain that the window is not popping up off the screen. All of my other windows open regularly (materials, object properties, etc.).

Please help; I'm at the end of my wits!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Steve_Curley
in reply to: marsha_r

Never the less it is likely that it is, in fact, offscreen. Close it if it's open. Open it, and without clicking or pressing any other keys, press Alt+Spacebar then M. Use the cursor keys to bring it back into view.

Alternatively, there's a script (somewhere on scriptspot.com) which will bring all dialogs back into view.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 3
Stefan_L
in reply to: Steve_Curley

And because you can run in the wrong direction with the cursor keys it's good to know that the dialog sticks to your mouse pointer after the first cursor keystroke, so after that, you can move it with the mouse.

And if all else fails, you can edit the 3dsmax.ini in C:\Users\_YOUR USERNAME_\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMaxDesign\2014 - 64bit\ENU (Windows 7)

Look for this entry:

[LayerDialog]
Dimension=2239 0 400 871

The numbers are x-position y-position x-size y-size in pixels, reference point is top left.

🙂

--
Stefan

i7-2600 @ 3,4GHz, 32GB Ram,
512+128GB SSDs + 2x500GB HD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB + GTX 980 4GB
latest Driver (almost always)
Win7ProX64 SP1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report