Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Normals and Strange Render results

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
SimonMarks1974
4158 Views, 7 Replies

Invalid Normals and Strange Render results

Hi

I'm having problems with a model imported from an Architect that I am trying to light.

The model is a single editable mesh, and I'm having significant problems with normals. I'm guessing they produced it in a format other than 3D Max, because it comes in with a list of errors;

"MSG 0.0 56 MB error: Invalid normal found on object "V&A proposal" on face 26977, replacing with a dummy normal"

There are about 100 of these, all of which are just different faces of the same object.

These faces fail to render correctly, and I cannot work out a way to fix the problem. the Edit Normal and Normal modifiers don't seem to work. I've unified and flip normals until they are all facing the same way. Nothing seems to (reliably) work.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

I've attached an screen-grab of the problem.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
big-blue
in reply to: SimonMarks1974

I don't know if it will work for you but you can download and try the following script from scriptspot.com :
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/unify-flip-normal-polygons
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Hello,

i had the same issue and i was able to fix it:
Maybe this helps someone.

Select Object

Convert To: -> Editable Poly.

Select all polygons (Ctrl + A).

Edit Geometry -> Detach -> Give new name

This generates more or less a copy of the whole object and
deletes every polygon except of the pivot.
Delete the empty pivot after detaching into a new object.
Message 4 of 8

Certainly has helped, not solved all the problems but the rest can be dealt with by amending normals.

Thanks!
Message 5 of 8
ZParrish
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you for the tip! I had a similar issue with a model I downloaded from Dosch (VirtualArtGalleries-Scene06). It was really starting to bug me. I would detach the element that threw the flag, but the exact same error message came back listing the same Face numbers. The newly detached element with the supposedly bad normals wouldn't trow an error. It was like the geometry was fine, but there was a bad reference in the object itself to specific face numbers.

This worked like a charm!
Message 6 of 8
CAMedeck

We have encountered issues with mainly Sketchup models similar to this. As an Editable Mesh, normal directions could not be flipped without either adding an Edit Mesh modifier (but don't collapse it), or converting to an Editable Poly. Doing either of these removes any smoothing, however.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8

Thanks , worked like a dream!

Message 8 of 8
arq.landoni
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Christian.  Thank you very much, that tip saved a scene I´ve been working on, and got stuck on that warning while starting the rendereing process! Great job solving it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report