Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insane load times on Max files

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
DanCole2006
414 Views, 7 Replies

Insane load times on Max files

Firstly we're using Studio Max 2014 SP5 and VRay 2.40.04

Our studio has moved to a new building including our servers and as a result the IP has changed from 192.xxxxx too 10.xxxxx

This issue we are now having is horrendous load times on Max files and we're running out of ideas as to why regardless of file size

The issue is textures. and we *think* what is happening is that in our old building textures were stored on server t:\\resources\textures\xxxx

and now in our new building theyre stored t:\\resources\textures\xxxx

As you can see the path to the texture hasnt changed but what HAS changed is the whole IP adresses

So we think the issue for the loading times is because MAx is trying to find the texture using the old IP adress even though the path is the same.

We have a few work arounds, working localy, asset collecting ..... but what we're looking for, if anyone can help, is a solution as to what is happening.

We may even be incorrect in our diagnosis why we are having these issues!

If any one can help, suggestions as to tests we can make, or has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

- Dan

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CAMedeck
in reply to: DanCole2006

This little script is absolutely invaluable:

http://www.colinsenner.com/scripts/relink-bitmaps

It looks for missing map files and lets you choose what folder to look in to relink them.

BUT...

You can also relink ALL maps in the scene.  So if Max is looking in a missing directory first, you can use this script to force Max to find them in the new directory.  You would have to run this on all of your scenes, so it isn't necessarily a universal solution.  But eventually everything would get remapped.

We've used this when our data got ported from one server to another, and it worked great.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
jfincher
in reply to: CAMedeck

I suppose the only way to find out for sure is to simply try, but would this solve their issue since the directory names haven't changed, only the IP address?

Message 4 of 8
FelixDames

Well could have lots of reasons...let me guess my 2 cents...

You are saying t:\\resources\textures\xxxx is the path (old and new) to the textures on the server but this is not a real server address (ip or name of a computer) it is a mounted network drive path. (t:\\ is the network drive letter).

I guess you created this network drive path in your old location it was pointing to this ip address 192.xxxxx but now at your new location your server address is this 10.xxxxx but the network drive path maybe is still pointing to the old ip ?!?

If you used ip addresses when you created the network drive I would delete the network drive path in windows explorer and recreate it with the new ip 10.xxxxx (could be your solution) or better use the computer name of your server. like so \\computername\resources\textures\xxxx

if you used computer names instead of ip addresses when the network drive was created in the first place then I'm out of solutions because a computer name should resolve automatically to its actual ip.

Well another quick check would be if you try to open the path t:\\resources\textures\xxxx in windows explorer. Do you have any delay navigating on that network drive? If so recreate the network drive! Could you open and view the textures? If everything is fluid and normal with the network drive forget my solutions with recreating the network drive...

Good luck to figure it out.

www.felixdames.de
www.music.felixdames.de
Physical RAM: 16GB / Virtual RAM: 16GB
GPU: NVidia QUADRO FX 2700M 512MB Driver: 332.50
Message 5 of 8
DanCole2006
in reply to: CAMedeck

(Re-linking bitmaps was originally one of our work-arounds)

The files are loading with the textures, the problem is the load time - its like max can find the textures but for some reason is looking for them in the wrong place using the old IP somehow -

The big clue I can offer is that disconnecting from the network instantly instantly loads a max file and the textures are pointing correctly.

Is there any way to check not the path but the IP max is using to find assets and external files?
Message 6 of 8
DanCole2006
in reply to: FelixDames

Im one of the artists, not one of the IT guys so bare with me and thanks for the help 🙂

Firstly opening the network path in explorer doesnt have much delay (no more than before) as we have a huge asset folder. and yes we can still prieview textures correctly.

In windows explorer it shows the new IP 10.150.xxxx next to the drive letter and if you ping the drive using cmd it shows the same IP adress

I guess you created this network drive path in your old location it was pointing to this ip address 192.xxxxx but now at your new location your server address is this 10.xxxxx but the network drive path maybe is still pointing to the old ip ?!?

How do I check this please? 

Also see reply to the above post, this may also help.

Thanks for your continued help, appreciated.

Just to clarify when I mean 'insane load times I mean like 15+ minutes on a 4000kb file which has textures assigned, these are new files, its just down to an issue with the server and locating textures.

Is there any way to check not the path but the IP max is using to find assets and external files?

Message 7 of 8
FelixDames

How do I check this please?

if you see the correct ip address in windows explorer next to your network drive letter then the network drive is using the correct ip!

So the network drive is not the problem. Also you say you are able to open and view files from that network drive... So forget about the network drive...

Next I would check what path 3ds max is using for the textures. Open a Bitmap map in material editor and check there what actual path 3ds max is using?

Another thing you could try is to provide max with a general path to look for textures.

To do that add a new path:

Customize->Configure User Paths ->External files->[click Add...] and add the path to your textures

Now whenever max has trouble finding textures it will now look at that path to find them there.

If all that doesn't help I think you may have a general network problem. That could be an ip address which is used twice (ip conflict) or whatever... I'm out of solutions - ask your it guy 😉

Good luck

www.felixdames.de
www.music.felixdames.de
Physical RAM: 16GB / Virtual RAM: 16GB
GPU: NVidia QUADRO FX 2700M 512MB Driver: 332.50
Message 8 of 8
dgorsman

Have your IT guy use Process Monitor (ProcMon), which is invaluable for these types of problems.  It creates a filtered log of what the computer is doing - what folders its looking for, what processes are starting/stopping, what registry keys its trying to open, all sorts of useful information.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums