Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Inventor files into 3DS Max

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
VisAnSpec
1764 Views, 4 Replies

Importing Inventor files into 3DS Max

I can import into 3DS Max 2014 from Inventor 2014 but when I do the assemblies become one big mesh.  I want to animate individual subassemblies.  How can I bring in parts grouped like the assemblies are in Inventor to 3DS Max?  One big mesh is not useful to me.

Randy Van Nostrand

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
silverwell
in reply to: VisAnSpec

Import the assembly file into 3DS MAX 2014, and then Ungroup the single large mesh. Ungroup can be found under the Group tab.

Edit the individual parts, by selecting each part (press H to select), apply materials and appearances etc.

When the parts edits are complete. Select the parts that make up each sub assembly, by pressing H, then hold down the CTRL key while selecting the parts that make up the sub assembly. When the parts are selected, Group the selection, the new group can be given an appropriate name. For example, a shaft that comprises a gear, a key, a nut and a lever arm, may be grouped with the name Rotating Components.

Complete all of the other sub assemblies in the same manner, so that each group (sub assembly) can be animated individually.

Message 3 of 5
VisAnSpec
in reply to: silverwell

This is important stuff for my class.  I am using 3DS Max to export assemblies to Blender.  Unfortunately my class can not be taught in 3DS Max.

I appreciate your help,

Randy Van Nostrand

Message 4 of 5
rbush110
in reply to: VisAnSpec

Randy,

I'm having trouble importing Inventor files into 3ds Max. I was told to copy the rse.dll file from Inventor Bin folder to 3ds Max Inventor Server Bin folder and I did that. Then, I went to the Command Prompt to run as admin. I got an error saying 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Got any ideas?

Thanks,

Rick Bush

Message 5 of 5
silverwell
in reply to: rbush110

I assume that you are referring to Inventor 2014 and 3DS MAX 2014. If this is the case, I would restore your computer to a point prior to copying the rse.dll file to your 3ds MAX Inventor server Bin folder.

If you installed Inventor Update1 and Inventor Update2 which were available in May 2013 and July 2013 respectively, these updates sometimes cause error messages to display, stating that some files where missing, and I think from memory, that these were .dll files.

I would suggest that you uninstall both Inventor 2014 and 3DS MAX 2014, and then reinstall both programs. Then download Inventor 2014 SP1 and install it, and 3DS MAX SP3 and install that, now run each program to test that everything is working.

You can run these programs as the administrator, by right clicking the Inventor icon on your desktop and choosing "Run as Administrator" from the list that is displayed.

You should experience no more problems importing .iam and .ipt files directly from Inventor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report