Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't move/rotate a few objects here, why? (For my final class project!)

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
chriswhy
32944 Views, 8 Replies

I can't move/rotate a few objects here, why? (For my final class project!)

In this file that I'm working on for the final for my intro to 3D animation class, I can't rotate or move the inner doorknob, its "axis" object, or the lock on that side of the door. On the other side, those objects can transform just fine. What's going on here? They don't seem to be frozen, and they don't have transforms locked, as far as I can tell. My instructor couldn't figure out the problem either. Can anyone figure this out?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Steve_Curley
in reply to: chriswhy

I can't even work out how you got it into that state to begin with - I don't recall ever seeing anything quite so locked-down as those 4 items. It's not the Controllers, it might be something to do with linking because I can't even unlink them from the Door! How very odd...

Relatively easy to fix, fortunately. For each of the affected objects:-
Create a temporary Box object. Convert the Box to Editable Poly. Align the Box to the problem object Position(Pivot-to-Pivot, ZY&Z), Orientation (ZY&Z) but not Scale. Attach the object to the Box, select the Element which was the Box and delete it. Link the "box" to the Door, remember to rename the object back to what it should be.
Obviously any animated Transforms, Wired Parameters or Reactions will have to be re-created, so make a note of what's needed before you clean up each object!

Quick tip - once you're happy with the results of a Boolean operation, collapse the object to Editable Poly. Keeping it as a Boolean increases memory usage and slows Max down.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 9
chriswhy
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hmm, that didn't work. Too bad. Thanks anyway! I think I'll just recreate the lock, and duplicate/flip the knob that's on the other side.

Must've been some obscure bug, I suppose...

Message 4 of 9
Steve_Curley

Then you didn't do it properly. That procedure is, and has been, a "get out of jail free" card for many different problems for many years - I tried it here before posting and it worked perfectly.

If you intend to Mirror the one on the other side of the door, do not use the Mirror tool on the main toolbar - clone the one which works and apply a Mirror Modifier. The Mirror tool applies negative scale to the object which can really mess with animation.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 9
lightcube

Steve... first you clung to Windows XP for too long and now you seem to have a way to fabricate Get Out of Jail stuff. I'm afraid that you are becoming a threat to the establishment by now! How dare you corrupt young minds with solutions!

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 6 of 9
Steve_Curley
in reply to: lightcube

It's what I (don't) get paid for 😛

p.s. Posted from a PC running XP (because I couldn't be bothered to fire up the one running 2K :D)

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 9
chriswhy

I must have misunderstood one of the steps. Oh well, it didn't take long to recreate anyway!

Here's my final animation!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25413267/Final_animation.mov

Message 8 of 9
haaziza

Go to position in path constrain and select the XYZ.

Message 9 of 9
mgdenton
in reply to: haaziza

Thanks Haaziza, that helped get me to an answer.  I too somehow froze my objects.

I went to my Motion tab to see if any constraints had been applied.  I must have pressed a shortcut key accidentally because I saw this:

Frozen.PNG

Deleting that ->Frozen Position item let me move things again.  Hope this can help someone else.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report