Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am unable to group objects from a DWG File

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
3635 Views, 2 Replies

I am unable to group objects from a DWG File

I built a building in AutoCAD Architecture 2013 and inserted the file into 3DSMax 2013 via the file link manager. I would like to group certain AEC objects from my DWG file in 3DSMax so that I can assign materials, move them around without losing placement, but the "Group" and "Assemble" drop-downs are disabled. Why am I not able to group these objects? Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
darawork
in reply to: Anonymous

Grouping is not possible with file-linked objects. Imagine the whole file-linked model as an xref. You can't select same-layer entities individually, they are treated like a family of objects.
File linking is only good really for objects that do not need to be moved around or edited once they are linked, like walls and floors. One benefit of file linking is that you can update/revise the AutoCad drawing and then reload the file-link and NOT have to reapply materials or UVW modifiers.

For all other elements of the model, you should just import them separately; I usually only keep the very main components remaining in the original drawing for file-linking. All the other second and third fix components are w-blocked out into separate dwgs of their own, for 'import' into Max at a later stage.

When you 'import' AutoCad elements to Max you have a much wider range of editing abilities, such as grouping, assemblies and sub-object selection (and manipulation / modifiers). The only drawback is that these imported object will obviously not update when their dwg counterparts are updated. You need to delete them from Max and re-import and reassign materials, UVW maps etc...

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks so much. I followed your advice and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report