Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove unused maps

39 REPLIES 39
SOLVED
Message 1 of 40
mekene
56112 Views, 39 Replies

How to remove unused maps

When I check the Asset Tracking of my scene I see many maps that are no longer used.

This was not a problem until I needed to export an archive of the scene : The ZIP is huge because max includes all those maps.

I looked in materials, environment, background, ... but cannot find where they are used.

What is the workflow to fix such issues. Isn't there a way to determine easily where a given map is used in the scene ? I mean for eg : in the asset tracking, Right-Click a map and give an option to display all objects where this map is being used.

Thank you.

39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
PROH
in reply to: mekene

Hi. When I have experienced this problem, the reason has always been that the unused materials/map still was present in the material editor, and therefore considered as part of the file. To fix it simply reset or condense your material editor slot. In the compact editor, this is done by selecting "utilities" and then select either "Reset Material Editor Slots" or "Condense Material Editor Slots".

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 40
mekene

Thank you PROH
I tried resetting the material editor, then saved and reloaded the scene but that doesn't get rid of those maps.
If there is no way to find where a map is being used with 3ds max standard tools, maybe there are scripts to do this ? Any clue ?
Message 4 of 40
PROH

Sounds odd. Only a few things I can think off right now:

1) Have you tried to use "Reset" (Max) before reloading the file?
2) Have you checked that there isn't any hidden, frozen or "dead" linked objects in you scene using those maps?
3) Are you talking about Vray materials? The only thing I never found a way to remove.

If you've already tried all this, then I think the only way is to merge it all into a new empty file, but this will off course make you loose your environment and render settings.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018

Message 5 of 40
mekene
in reply to: PROH

Thank you so much for your time PROH.

So I tried all 3 points :

1-Reset the scene before opening the file : No change

2-I had already checked for hidden and frozen objects. What do you mean by "dead" objects and how do I find them ?

3-Some of these maps are (or should I say WERE) used in vray materials indeed. But not all of them : there are two EXR images that were used for the environment or in a light dome at some point, but that are not used anymore anywhere in the scene.

Edit : I took a look at the Bitmap/Photometric Path Editor but it does not list all of the bitmaps of the scene. Actually some maps that ARE being used in the scene do not appear there ! Is this tool obsolete or somlething ?

Message 6 of 40
PROH

Hi. Well that's pretty much as I thought.

2 - By "dead" linked object I meant objects that comes from a previous linked file (dwg/fbx/rvt) that can not be found, without beeing detached or bound.

3 - Unused maps that previous were used in Vray environment is one thing that I find really hard to get rid of. The solution may depend on if Vray is installed or not. If not, one way to go, it is to merge your file into a new empty one - but this way you may loose some settings. Another way is to use a script. I've used one with succes, but I can't find it at the moment, and can't remember its name. You could try "Cleaner" from Scriptspot.com : http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/cleaner

Regarding the Bitmap/Photometric Path Editor - Don't know. I've never used it. I use the Material/Map Browser to see what maps are used on which objects.

Hope it helps

3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018

Message 7 of 40
svb3d

if you Strip All Paths in Bitmap/Photometric Path Edior

then save out as a archive, open the archive up in Winrar (Extract To/Advanced/ check Do ot extarct paths)

then you can delete all the maps you don't use. max will probably ask for the missing maps when you open the file up on a differnt computer but at least you don't have to include those files

Message 8 of 40
mekene
in reply to: svb3d

Ok. It seems there is no easy way to fix this. I think I'll just keep the archive as it is.

I did find that this plugin : http://3d-kstudio.com/product/project-manager/ has an option to "Remove link from scene" for any asset wether it's a map, an object, an IES,... I don't know how it does that under the hood though. And it costs 75$.

Thank you for your help !

Message 9 of 40
bertely

In the Material Editor windows select: Mode / Slate Material Editor Delete.. then delete all view that may contain the unused maps. 

Message 10 of 40
Diffus3d
in reply to: bertely

Another thing to keep in mind is when you use a map in the unwrapuvw modifier, it'll stick around inside there until you collapse, but not show up in any materials.

Message 11 of 40
CAMedeck

Download and install Colin Senner's Relink Bitmaps script: http://www.colinsenner.com/scripts/relink-bitmaps

Once you run it, you can use it to search for a bitmap in the scene and it can load the map and material(s) into the Compact Material Editor.  Try searching for some of your zombie maps and see what it turns up.  If anything, you may be able to remove them or at least replace them.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 40
yiego
in reply to: Diffus3d

BINGO!! Yes! That is what worked for me. The map was still being used by Unwrap UVW. Collapse it in the Modifier stack and voila... no more stubborn map.

Message 13 of 40
japetus
in reply to: yiego

Another tip that I just found cleaning files to send people: make sure to remove any bitmaps in the Configure Viewport settings. I had some viewport backgrounds that weren't being used anymore. Stumped me for a while. I always forget cleaning the slate view and Uv unwrap as well!

Message 14 of 40
cmurdo2003
in reply to: japetus

Also from the Slate Mat Editor-->Material-->Get All Scene Materials

This makes all the materials in the scene appear on Slate, even if there is no asset in the scene that uses these materials. From here you can re-path or replace the texture map.

Message 15 of 40
khanhdeptrai95
in reply to: cmurdo2003

Thanks! This solve my problem!

Message 16 of 40
keith_lutgens
in reply to: CAMedeck

This is why my productivity takes a nose dive every time I use 3ds.

I just spent two hours searching all over the internet on how to delete an unused material with no answers only to find out that the UV Unwrap modifier is gripping onto an unused bitmap for no reason.

Download this script.  Run this... Run that...  Try this utility. 

It's all so stupid I hate this software more and more everyday.

Message 17 of 40

I totally agree with you!

Message 18 of 40
BenediZ
in reply to: CAMedeck

That's not really a solution, maybe in certain cases a small help...

In Maya we have "Clean up" or in Hypershade delete unused nodes - several tools with smart custom control...

I have also now wasted many hours. It's not clear what's in my file under the hood..

This really belongs to the essentials of a software.

You should please develope the same for 3dsMax.

Message 19 of 40
Jixal
in reply to: BenediZ

Still, in 2020 "how can we clean unused material or textures in the scene" and there is no legit answer. 

What is going on. Surely this should be a simple gift to the users. 

Message 20 of 40
TB_RIO
in reply to: Jixal

I'm having trouble with this in 2021 too. Tried everything, scene converter, manually stripping scene assets, copying over MR plugin files from 2019.  Still get the mrmaterialattribs.gup custom attribute missing warning!

So annoying

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report