Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of black shades on mesh in 3ds max

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
tapandesai
15051 Views, 13 Replies

How to get rid of black shades on mesh in 3ds max

I am newbie to 3ds max, I was modelling one building but I am seeing some black shades on the mesh and I want to get rid of it. Please help me get rid of the error. You can see the black shades in the picture attached below, as well as I am uploading my 3ds max file.

Also guide me how can I get a cleaner mesh, right now its totally messed up. I used optimize modifier but it does not do much.

black mesh.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Steve_Curley
in reply to: tapandesai

You are correct in that it is "a mess". There are some rules which you need to follow if you want a nice, clean mesh though it will aways be at the expense of more polys. It's a subject which comes up regularly, so I suggest you read the folllowing thread carefully - there's a lot of info in it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Modeling/How-do-YOU-model-your-buildings/m-p/3963128

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 14
tapandesai
in reply to: Steve_Curley

But at the moment I need some quick fix. I used Boolean to cut the windows and door and it messed up the topology.

What should I do to fix this quickly?

Message 4 of 14
tapandesai

I mean I am not worried about poly count, what I want is that I want to remove those odd black shades across the mesh.

Message 5 of 14
Steve_Curley

There's no quick fix for a model like that. Right-click the object > Object Properties > Edges Only (turn it off). See all those long, thin hidden triangles? They are the cause of your bad shading. You have to get rid of those and the only real way is to either re-create the model (which will take a while) or to create new edges which should prevent those long thin ones from appearing (which could take as long or longer). It took a me a good half-hour just to re-create the front, and that's without those oddly shaped upper windows which complicate matters considerably, because of the extra edges/vertices describing the curved corners.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 6 of 14
kcpr.pl

You can try to use Smooth modifier, and let it try to autosmooth these faces.

If it doesn't help - ZIP the model, post here and I can take a look what can be done.

Message 7 of 14
Steve_Curley
in reply to: kcpr.pl

The scene is attached to the first post 😉

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 8 of 14
kcpr.pl

😉

Wow, thank you! I didn't noticed this.

I'll take look on this.

Greetings,

Message 9 of 14
kcpr.pl

Looks like it can be done 😉

I've attached .max file.

what I did?

1. Applied Smooth modifier;

2. Then in Edit Poly I've selected front faces using By Angle: 45 - option, and then clicked Make Planar - Y axis.

3. You can experiment by disabling/enabling Prevent Indirect Smoothing in Smooth Modifier Options to achieve best results.

Please check if everytking is OK.

Message 10 of 14
stephengabriel

A slightly shorter way, select object, enter Element sub-object mode, select face to highlight entire building, the click Clear All in the smoothing groups of the Polygon:Smoothing Groups.  You do not need to set a smoothing angle or reassign smoothing groups necessarily because all of the faces are co-planar but you'd want to do this if you are dealing with curved surfaces to prevent faceting of the faces.  This is a common condition after using a boolean operation.

Message 11 of 14
tapandesai

Sorry everyone for late reply. I would like to thank Steve_Curley, kcpr.pl and stephengabriel for sparing their time to have a look at this thread and helping me out. All of the suggestions were helpful and I've learned something new.
Message 12 of 14
tapandesai

Thank you very much for sparing time for me
Message 13 of 14
kcpr.pl

You're welcome 😉

Message 14 of 14
ray84pro
in reply to: kcpr.pl

Hi, people, I am facing similar issues. Could you please care to visit this link to try helping me out? Many thanks
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-modeling/modeling-uvw-unrap-or-export-issue/m-p/7427993/highl...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report