Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to close a complex shape

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
699 Views, 5 Replies

How to close a complex shape

Hi,

I need to close a complex shape (see attached jpg).
What would be the best and fastest way to do it?
I tried "CAP", but probably because of the complexity of the shape, it doesn't work well.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SuperCoon
in reply to: Anonymous

Even if you were able to "Cap" this (& I don't think that's possible) you would still have to go & connect across the caped portion to give it its shape. What exactly is this object?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: SuperCoon

The object is a continent of Earth (Europe - In the attached jpg, you see the shape backward).
I made all the continent that go around, and now I need to close all the shapes.
I need to create a Earth globe,
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

If it's going against a globe, there's no need to cap it. If you are never going to see the back of it, leave it and save yourself the extra polygons you would have created.
Message 5 of 6
yiannisk

+1 unless they are going to form the globe by themselves or they're going to have a transparent globe.

what i would try to do in your case.. would be to actually delete the border , forget about cap, and use Shell modifier.

UNLESS you are indeed going to use an opaque sphere\globe behind them, in which case as MadViolinist said there is no point in capping them.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Agreed. Remove the edges and use Shell.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report