Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add bones to a limbless model

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Alison24
257 Views, 4 Replies

How to add bones to a limbless model

I created a biped bone model for my limbless animal model I made, and I'm trying to figure out how to link the biped bones to my limbless model, so I can animate it in Motionbuilder.

Can anyone explain to me how I can line the bone structure with my model and link them both together so I can animate them in Motionbuilder?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
samab
in reply to: Alison24

We have no idea what your model looks like or what actions it needs to perform, so it's not easy to advise on how to rig it. Though you say it is limbless, so biped by definition may not be the rig of choice for this.
Message 3 of 5
Alison24

I just added the picture to my first post. Are you saying I should create bones for the model?
Message 4 of 5
jonavark

our model has no joints. So you can either skin it or.. just link each appendage to its related bone.
Message 5 of 5
samab

I was unsure what you meant by limbless, I was thinking of something like a snake, worm, ameoba or something else with no arms or legs. Which is why I advised against biped.
But this has arms and feet, they are just not fixed to the body, that's why we need to see the character to know what to do.
For this you can use biped if you like. The tutorials show how to scale the bones to fit a mesh.
As Jona Vark says, you may be able to just attach the limb parts to the bones if they are not to deform. for example just link to feet to the foot bones. If the arms need to bend at the elbow, you must skin them to the bones, otherwise just link them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report