Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - Revert to factory/default settings, can not import bone files.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
freddyhollensen
734 Views, 5 Replies

HELP - Revert to factory/default settings, can not import bone files.

I think I've screwed up too much, and now I'd just like to have it the way it was when I installed, I've heard re-installing won't solve anything since it keep its settings in a different folder.
I've had 3dsmax for about a day and a half, so it's safe to say I'm a complete newb at handling this program, and I'm not much of a techi.

Additional info, the mystery of 3dsmax.
Image: 1

Long story short:

I believe I have an issue importing bones with my NIF files, this possibly happened after a crash were 3dsmax 2012 started lagging to eventually freeze after being minimized for a while (I may have hit a few keys in the moment of frustration)

I'm not certain if my bones are simply not showing or they are not being imported at all. I'm following a youtube tutorial, so I know what is supposed to happen. Following the tutorial the first time around, my bones were succesfully imported, it crashed while my bones were hidden, so I'm not certain if it's a result of the crash. I realised the situation when the tutorial maker hits unfreeze all, unhide all, his bones are now showing and mine aren't.

-

I've now tried hitting several hotkeys, prayed to any know deity, chanted every spell.

Now I've also screwed up the way I move vertexes(Changed mode of some sort)
Image: 2.

Please help, I'm completely lost and confused here, and willing to do just about anything to make it work again.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

C:/users/[username]/AppData/Local/Autodesk/3dsMax/2014 - 64bit/ENU/3dsmax.ini (I think, no W7 or W8 to check it here)

That's the main config file. Close Max, remove (or rename) that file then restart Max. Try that first.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 6

Well it fixed my second problem with the vertex mode.

But I'm afraid the skeleton still wont import.

I've heard you can have multiple versions of 3DSmax at the same time? would you recommend I try and install the latest version? How do I go about, do 3DSmax 2012(my current) share anything with 2014 that might screw up 2014.
Or should I just install it like any other program.
Do you know if the 2014 version is free as I'm a student?

I guess it is possible for me to edit armors now, ignore the skeleton, then send the file to my brother and have him add the armor to a skeleton.

But it would, for testing and time saving purposes be nice to be able to import and export skeletons.
Message 4 of 6

The programs themselves don't share anything - they're entirely separate. What can get shared is some of the external stuff like the Autodesk Materials and Backburner. The Materials should (I think) work across versions, BB may not but you'll probably not be using it anyway (network rendering on multiple machines).

Can't answer for student licensing - never dealt with it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 6
chargingcar
in reply to: Steve_Curley

That is total garbage I have 2014 Max and messed something up with the settings,
Installed 2013,,, Soon as it loaded I have the same setup what I have had on 2014 still messed up,,
My problem is that I have no appdata file for some reason?
Message 6 of 6

The appdata folder is hidden by default in Windows.  The Folder and Search Options tool is located under the Organize drop down in the file browser window and you can use the View to show hidden files to reveal the appdata folder.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report