Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Recommendation

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mrice30
504 Views, 2 Replies

Hardware Recommendation

I’m new to 3ds Max and am trying to understand my hardware needs.  The scenes I create over time will be complicated and I'll end up pushing computing capacity to its limits.  

The attachment is a screen shot that can’t keep up as I pan in realistic view- it takes time to reconstruct.

The advice I’m getting from the Geek Squad is I need an expandable graphics card (OK) and a desktop to draw heat away (huh?? I thought desktops will soon be obsolete).

Any suggestions on a laptop configuration and manufacturer that will give me the most bang for the buck?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Richard.Vivanco
in reply to: mrice30

First i dont recommend a laptop for rendering jobs, pc is more powerful

core i7 4th generation or if you can buy a xeon

32gb of ram ddr4

4gb of video gtx 970 or higher

asus mainboard

several coolers

1.2w for power supply, antec is great

Richard Vivanco V.
Arq. BIM Manager + Autodesk Certified Instructor
Website | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
CAMedeck
in reply to: mrice30

For viewport performance, you'll want the best video card you can get.  There are a lot of opinions out there on what works best, but if you are tied to a laptop your options are a bit more limited.  Many can get away with a powerful gaming card for their work, others prefer a more robust Quadro card.

You'll also want enough RAM.  We have set our standard at 32GB for now, and it is enough.  But 24GB was enough a couple years ago, and we started hitting that ceiling.  

But for 3D work, I don't see desktops going obsolete any time soon.  Especially with GPU rendering, there just isn't room in a laptop for 3 Tesla cards.  🙂

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report