Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTL: virtual device creation failed 3ds max 2012 32 bit

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
DianaY
35855 Views, 19 Replies

FTL: virtual device creation failed 3ds max 2012 32 bit

I can't use my product because this message appears, then I click close, but the four work areas doesn't appear
I attached a photo to show you my problem, I hope you can help me please! what should I do? what's the problem here?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Doughboy12
in reply to: DianaY

Are you running into a language problem?
English version or other...?
System and OS specs?
What have you tried?
Where did you get the software?
3ds Max 2012 Certified Professional
Windows 7 Enterprise 64Bit
Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67 x2 36GB
3ds Max 9 - 2013

I'm not sure if it's a language issue it is supposed to be in spanish because when I entered my country (Mexico) automatically selected spanish, but I don't have any problem having the english verion. My computer is a TOSHIBA, windows XP 32 bits...
I downloaded from the autodesk page, they give students free versions...
the problem is, as you can see in the image there's a message box telling me "this" problem I just click close, then I can use any command I want the problem is, for example, clicking box but I can see the box I'm making, because the work areas stays as yo can see on the image... with the background that was before open 3ds max... I mean thats my only problem, I can select the work areas, I can make a box and modify it but I can't see what I'm doing. Hope you can help me!
Message 4 of 20
Steve_Curley

Toshiba is just a brandname - we need the actual specs for the machine, especially the graphics card (or subsystem if it's onboard). At the very least the model number of the machine.
My guess would be it's mobile chipset which is simply not up to the job of running Max.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 20
stephengabriel

Looks like it may be a graphics card issue due to the failure to generate the viewports. Locate your desktop short cut for Max, select it, right click and select Properties from the pop up menu. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field and at the end of the field add a space and "-h" without the quotes. Now when you start Max, it will ask you what graphics driver to use. Select Direct 3D and click OK to launch Max using that driver rather than Nitrous. If Direct 3D is already selected, try choosing Software as you are running the 32 bit version of Max. If this works successfully, remove the -h from your desktop short cut or it will ask you which driver to use every time you launch from the desktop. If it doesn't work, let us know your system stats and I'm sure one of us will be able to help you with this.
Message 6 of 20
DianaY

well I think I can't add the -h am I doing it correctly?

toshiba satellite a105 s4384
In system properties:
Intel(R) Corel(TM)2 CPU
T5500 @ 1.66GHz
980MHz, 0,99GB RAM

and I found this on internet
ProcessorIntel Core 2 Duo T5500 / 1.66 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Memory 1.0 GB / 4.0 GB (max)
Hard Drive 160.0 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 4200.0 rpm
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Display Type 15.4 in TFT active matrix
Max Resolution 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )
Graphics Processor Intel GMA 950 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 3.0

I'm sorry I'm not an expert on computers 😕 that's the reason why I'm asking for help.

Message 7 of 20
stephengabriel

In the Destino: field, add the -h at the end of the line so it looks like:

"C:\Programa\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\3dsmax.exe" -h
Message 8 of 20
DianaY
in reply to: Steve_Curley

toshiba satellite a105 s4384
In system properties:
Intel(R) Corel(TM)2 CPU
T5500 @ 1.66GHz
980MHz, 0,99GB RAM
and I found this on internet
ProcessorIntel Core 2 Duo T5500 / 1.66 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Memory 1.0 GB / 4.0 GB (max)
Hard Drive 160.0 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 4200.0 rpm
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Display Type 15.4 in TFT active matrix
Max Resolution 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )
Graphics Processor Intel GMA 950 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 3.0
I’m sorry I’m not an expert on computers 😕 that’s the reason why I’m asking for help.
Message 9 of 20
DianaY

Oh! ok I tried also in the destino field but I did it inside the " "
but well I ran 3ds max, good new, the FTL message box doesn't appear anymore... but I still can't see de viewports... :c
Message 10 of 20
DarrenP

your laptop is not good enough to run 3ds max
that intel card is whats killing you

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 20
Steve_Curley

You shouldn't need to be changing your properties for starting Max.

Start > Programs > Autodesk > 3dsMax 2013 (32 or 64bit as appropriate) > Change Graphics Mode. **
That is already set up for you with the -h parameter.

**May be slightly different on W7, the above is for XP.

Drp281 is probably correct - the graphics are not good enough for Max.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

Hmmm. Last night I ran into the same problem. (as described in the first post).

I run 3Ds Max 2012 on a Intel i7, 16gb ram, geforceGTX570, Win7 64x. I've updated my graphics drivers & did windows updates last night (including reboots) but that did not fixed my problem.

Also changing the driver modes to Direct3D did not help.

But what I have now as well is when I drag a explorer window or webbrowser window across my screen, I see problems. (like alot of windows when you drag from left to right). So I can say that there is something wrong on my machine, not particularly related to 3Ds Max. I've run my 3Ds Max 2012 for month's now without a problem, it just started to happen last night.

I'm going to do more testing tonight, maybe even a fresh install on my machine, because I want to have this fixed. Interesting enough, my photoshop was running fine...
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Solved! All I did was, uninstall all the Nvidia drivers properly, reboot, re-install the drivers. This fixed my 3Ds Max 🙂 (and all the other problems that I had).
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Ask,

Uninstall "Nvidia drivers", after the restart, still the same problem ...

There are other ways you can solve it?

Thank you
Message 15 of 20
Wake88
in reply to: stephengabriel

I downloaded 3ds Max 2013 and was having same problem.  I switched the graphics to Software and it fixed the problem.  Go to Start>All programs>Autodesk>Autodesk 3ds Max>Change Graphics Mode.  Let 3ds Max start and change the graphics setting to "Software."  I have an older computer with XP and a 128 MB graphics card and this worked for me.

Message 16 of 20
zainabalkenani16

chose 2 or 3

Message 17 of 20
wolswijk_m
in reply to: Wake88

This helped me as well!Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 20
younusalirao

Thank You Very Much Sir

i Did

And I got Suceess 🙂

@Wake88 wrote:

I downloaded 3ds Max 2013 and was having same problem.  I switched the graphics to Software and it fixed the problem.  Go to Start>All programs>Autodesk>Autodesk 3ds Max>Change Graphics Mode.  Let 3ds Max start and change the graphics setting to "Software."  I have an older computer with XP and a 128 MB graphics card and this worked for me.

Message 19 of 20
Kitink

i have same problem, cannot used mode nitrous directx3d 9, and then i was tried to completely the directx3d 9. *perhaps my OS windows 7 doesn't have it

https://go.redirectingat.com/?id=92X1584492&xcust=tomshardware_3567600089482363195&xs=1&url=http%3A%...

its worked... solved for me...

Message 20 of 20
abdulaziz.3d.job

worked for me thankxxx Heart

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report