Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing basic errors in meshes?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
lightpanther
303 Views, 3 Replies

Fixing basic errors in meshes?

geometrygap.png

This basic problem showed up on a chair arm in a tutorial I am following, where two chamfers join. Despite following the steps exactly, the instructor's chair is fine, but mine did this spontaneously, creating the hole seen here. What is/are the basic ways of handling this sort of situation to repair the geometry without making it worse, such that problems don't arise later? I already tried some things, such as vertex welding, but this made things worse and I had to revert.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: lightpanther

Insert 2 new vertices into that angled edge. Use Target Weld to weld each of those new vertices (individually) to the 2 existing vertices on the border of the hole. I'd be tempted to find another tutorial, because even at that stage you have lots of "T" junctions which ought to be continued on so you have proper edge loops. That sort of geometry will not smooth nicely at all (using TurboSmooth or the like) which you will probably need.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
lightpanther
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hi. Just two quick questions about your suggestion so that I understand it. Which two vertices do you mean by on the border of the hole? (there are four). Am I using "refine" to add these extra vertices?

Message 4 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: lightpanther

Assuming the object is an Editable Poly:-

Edge sub-object level, Insert Vertex (button at the top of the Edit Edges rollout). There are 4 vertices around the hole - the 2 which are opposite the edge which is at an angle, i.e. NOT the vertices at the end of that edge.

CloseHole.png

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report