Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F3 shading viewport problem

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
BubbleWrapBoy
3419 Views, 3 Replies

F3 shading viewport problem

Hi again

I have a minor issue with my Max 2014.

I'm animating some cartoony characters, so I have my viewport shading set to Flat. Sometimes I need to see things in wireframe, so I press F3, but when I toogle back it ALWAYS toogle back to Smooth+ Highlight and I really don't want that. It's beginng to annoy me. Can I get the F3 to toggle between Flat and wireframe?

Also, I'm running OpenGL and I prefere to keep it that way 🙂

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

My co-worker found a work-around, which is to apply Self-illumination to the material. Great, but if someone knows the answer to my Q i'd still be grateful 🙂
Message 3 of 4

Not AFAIK.
You seem to have a simple choice:-
A) Stick with OGL (or Legacy D3D) and suffer F3 always switching beween w/frame and Smooth+Highlights
B) Use either of the 3 Nitrous options and have F3 toggle current <> w/frame (so set the current shading before using F3).

I should point out that up to and including Max2011 F3 always toggled between w/frame and smooth+highlights. At least now, with the Nitrous drivers, it remembers the current setting when going to w/frame.
You could set a different shortcut to set Flat such as Ctrl+F3 which is unused by default, but of course it's not a toggle and therefore considerably less convenient - that's your only other option.
The Shortcut you would need to set is "Viewport Visual Style Consistent Colours".

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 4

Thanks. I'll stick with self illumination on the texture. Seems to work best.
About Nitrous, I never had a good feel about, so I'll stick to OpenGL. Call me old school or conservative but that's how it's gonna be 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report