Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR: Please make sure the populate data is installed

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
lukeisaacbrown
29547 Views, 15 Replies

ERROR: Please make sure the populate data is installed

Whenever I try to use the populate tool with the custom or crowd skin in 3ds max 2015 I get the titular error, also no hi-res option appears, any help is appreciated!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Luke,

You can find the high resolution data for 2015 here.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/3ds-max-2015-populate...

Jeff

Mastering Autodesk 3ds Max 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Autodesk-3ds-Max-2013/dp/1118129717/ref=zg_bs_4135_2
Message 3 of 16

Thanks,
I had already tried and installed this but regardless I redownloaded and
reinstalled, it still seems to have had no effect, do I have to run it from
a specific directory or something?
Message 4 of 16
spacefrog_
in reply to: lukeisaacbrown

@Luke

Might be some faulty registry Path

Type the following in a DOS prompt ( be sure that your user  has administrator permissions )

reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Common\PeoplePower\2.0 /v Location

And now check that the outputted path exists on your harddrive and contains the populate files

Essentially the folder should exist and contain tens of thousands of individual files in subdirectories ....

( can't report the exact content ATM, because im not on a computer with Max installed ...)

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 5 of 16
Steve_Curley
in reply to: spacefrog_

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\PeoplePower\2.0\
Sure is a lot of files and folders in there...

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 16
spacefrog_
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Good thing that the path is configurable via that registry key and one  can move that huge loadf of files to somewhere else..

Another option would be moving the folder to some different drive and create a NTFS junction pointing to the new location ....

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 7 of 16
mcgi5sr2

Hi

I am having the exact same issue, have you found a resolution?

I have a copy of 2014 installed as well, both are student copies, but I can't uninstall the 2014 until I can get everything working on 2015... I also need it to work correctly with other custom exporters.

I'm afraid I don't fully follow the fix above, I have the files in the given directory but the terminal command says I have no registry key. If this is the issue how could i fix it? I'm not terribly keen on going into the reg settings blind and monkeying around, the last time I did that was with Maya and it ended badly :'(.

Any help much appreciated

regards

S

Forgot to add that I'm not using Design, sorry if this is the wrong place....

Message 8 of 16
pixel_ninja72
in reply to: mcgi5sr2

Im having the same issue...Max 2015

can this be fixed by configuring paths within Max ?

very frustrating

Message 9 of 16
knmdk
in reply to: pixel_ninja72

Is there any way to disable this warning message? I have uninstalled Populate Data intensionally (because it takes 0,5GB of space and I don't use it at all). There was no warning when I did this with 3ds Max 2014.

Message 10 of 16

what to do if there is no registry entry of that kind exist, I installed from the link above the populate data and still no registry value exist, error still persists when opening files.

Message 11 of 16
knmdk
in reply to: nano.archi_tecture

@nano.archi_tecture wrote:

what to do if there is no registry entry of that kind exist, I installed from the link above the populate data and still no registry value exist, error still persists when opening files.

You should try installing it manually from your CD or download extraction folder. Navigate and launch %3dsMaxSourceFolderOrDisk%\x64\PDATA\3dsMax_2015_PopulateData.msi (Run as Administrator). In case this fails you can then also try repairing your 3ds Max 2015 installation through "Uninstall Programs" in Control Panel of Windows (but you should not uninstall 3ds Max 2015 Populate Data before repairing).

Message 12 of 16
GeoffKornfeld
in reply to: knmdk

Yay!  that worked! Thank you!

Message 13 of 16
toxicholm

I'm also one of the unlucky ones, i can't get it to work...

And i don't quite get what you want me to do...

I've downloaded and installed the high-res, and i can find the mape PowerPeople 2.0 in my directory (there is no files in there unlike what the other guy said, i only have some subfiles: 2.0\Populate\EvolverData\HighResData\ and in here ive got some files, 3 sub folders and 19 items)

But do i have to link my 3DS Max with this somehow?
on the Autodesk 3DS Max Download Site, it says, that Populate should be installed when installing 3DS Max.

I am able, in 3DS Max, to place Flows for the pedestrians, but when i press the simulate buttom, it pops up with the warning...

Please help 🙂

Message 14 of 16
Mynd
in reply to: toxicholm

Hey.

I'm getting this error every time I open a Scene in 3DsMax 2015.

I never used populate and probably never will.

How do I get rid of this annoyance without installing it?

Any ideas?

Message 15 of 16
ramissin
in reply to: Mynd

After uninstalling populate, go to "\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\stdplugs\en-US" and delete or rename "PeopleOrch.dlc.mui".

You shouldn't get the annoying popup any more.

Dont' touch "PeopleOrch.dlc" in "\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\stdplugs" if you rename/delete that you'll get IO errors when running Max.

Just figured this out so let me know if it works.

Message 16 of 16
knmdk
in reply to: ramissin

@ramissin wrote:

After uninstalling populate, go to "\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\stdplugs\en-US" and delete or rename "PeopleOrch.dlc.mui".

You shouldn't get the annoying popup any more.

Totally fixes the issue. Thanks so much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums