Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Invalid flyout button ID!

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
RobH2
22559 Views, 14 Replies

Error: Invalid flyout button ID!

Just installed 2014 and have a few issues right away. I checked out the New Features webpage and attempted to change the Viewport Layout using the new Menu dropdown. When I click on any other layout other than the default the whole UI begins to flicker and Max completely locks up and I have to end the process to close it.

Now when I load Max I get an error box that says: "Invalid flyout button ID!" After clicking OK on 6 identical successive Error boxes they are all gone and Max is OK.

I uninstalled my display drivers and installed the latest Max Performance driver 311.50 for my Quadro 4000.

Update:
I removed a custom toolbar that I created thinking it might be throwing the error and then relaunched Max. Same error. Then I reinstalled Max using the Repair/Reinstall feature instead of completely uninstalling and reinstalling. When I open Max I still get the "Invalid flyout..." error. FYI, upon my initial install and first opening of Max it opened normally. It was only after I had the switching workspace event that this error stated. The Reinstall feature did not solve it.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
RobH2
in reply to: RobH2

I'm going to solve my own issue and hope this helps someone else.

I found this link:
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxstation/l6_startup_error_invalid_flyout_button_id_mass_fx_toolbar

In it the issue is described and a solution suggested. It says to rename the .cui file so I tried that. Nothing was fixed. So I renamed the .cuix file and that solved the problem. I can now open Max 2014 without the error.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 3 of 15
RobH2

I continue to be plagued by this problem. It appears that each time I create a custom toolbar which has a few of my favorite standard Max buttons I get the problem again. I believe this is a bug.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
RobH2

Is anyone else having this issue? I can't belive I'm the only one.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Your menu initialisations has gone corrupt.

-

Try renaming your 3dsmax.ini or delte it.

Start max again and it will rebuild the menus, and this problem will probaly go.

The 3dsmax.ini is user specific and are found here: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax**\***\ENU

-

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have to follow the instructions, delete 3dmxs.ini, but still similar, show "Invalid flyout button" when opening files 3dmax

Message 7 of 15
Amcy93

Hi Friends,

For 3ds Max 2015 Edition

at first close 3ds max program,

Next, you can delete 3ds max configuration setting file at

C:\Users\youraccount\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2015 - 64bit\ENU address (Win 8/7).

(please be informed that you must active view hidden files before!)

Run 3ds Max 2015 program Again and all things will work properly with no Error.

Regards

Ali Makki

IIOEC Company

Message 8 of 15
Arcomfenix
in reply to: Amcy93

This one worked for me. Thank you!
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

i try this but it didn't work , and know I have another problem when I exit the max ( maxdotnet.config denied ) am trying to reinstalled the max now
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Amcy93

it works now after deleting the max and reinstalling it thank you
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Those are not a very good solution. I don't want to destroy the customizations I did on my UI. Is there any log I can snoop into so to find what buttons are causing this?

Message 12 of 15
spacefrog_

most likely it'S the Massfx toolbar causing this...

Did you by any chance install Nvidia's own version of the PhysX tools ?

You could try to delete the "MassFX Toolbar" in the Customize User Interface->Toolbars dialog and restart 3ds Max.

AFAIK the MassFX macroscripts recreate the toolbar during next startup, if it does not exist.

This would eliminate the error most likely ( if it's really the MassFX toolbar which is broken )

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: spacefrog_

@Anonymous wrote:

most likely it'S the Massfx toolbar causing this...

Did you by any chance install Nvidia's own version of the PhysX tools ?

You could try to delete the "MassFX Toolbar" in the Customize User Interface->Toolbars dialog and restart 3ds Max.

AFAIK the MassFX macroscripts recreate the toolbar during next startup, if it does not exist.

This would eliminate the error most likely ( if it's really the MassFX toolbar which is broken )

I didn't give much attention at first to the MassFX toolbar because all buttons showed up perfectly on it. 

But you message made me give a try and delete only it and bang! The error dialogs didn't show up anymore. 

Thanks!

Message 14 of 15
wissmanutsa

Message 15 of 15
pixelmento

Just remove the folder "usersave"    

Users\Your UserName\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\Max version - 64bit\ENU\en-US\UI\Workspaces

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report