Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edge Halo when compositing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cprettyman
505 Views, 3 Replies

Edge Halo when compositing

I'm sure there is an easy fix to this, but I can't seem to find the right terms when searching, and its making me feel dumb.

This is from a sample scene that is part of a series of tutorials we're developing in house - this one is about alpha, and compositing - and its basically an argument for using file formats that support an alpha channel - but I need to show some people how to do this with jpg. DSo, I rendered out the image, and an Alpha render element, both to jpg,a nd brought them into composite and composited in a new background.

My initial render looks fine - but some objects, most noticeably the tree branches and leaves have a nasty halo around them. It seems to me like an issue with AA, and playing with sampling settings, and which filter I use affects it, but nothing seems to eliminate it.

What am I missing?

(Note: the image I am attaching is zoomed way, way in)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: cprettyman

No image - please read this post for help with attachments.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
cprettyman
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks - it was that preview thing. That's annoying. I edited the initial post, so you should see it now.
Message 4 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: cprettyman

Check your Alpha channel carefully - if it's Anti-Aliased then you'll get that "halo" effect. It needs to be sharp (no AA) and follow the image exactly. Also make sure it's full black and full white - nothing else or you'll get semi-transparency.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report