Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customize default scene explorer columns?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
297 Views, 3 Replies

Customize default scene explorer columns?

Is there a way to set the default columns on the scene explorer?

For example, every time I start a new scene and open up the scene explorer I want the columns to be | Hidden | Frozen | Name |

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Open the Scene Explorer and set it up how you want it.
Tools > Manage Scene Explorer
Highlight the correct entry in the list and Save it (for future reference) Make sure you're in the correct folder before you save.
Click Make Default (which essentially resaves it with a specific filename)

Opening a New Scene Explorer should now open with the settings you prefer, including after closing and restarting Max.

**Not tested with Select by Name as I use the old dialog, not the scene explorer, for that.

This is all explained in the Max Help - the first place to look for information on topics like this.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

I figured it out after I got some sleep, going all night doesn't help the concentration one bit.

But thanks for the quick reply regardless.
Message 4 of 4
RobH2
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for that Steve. I missed it in the Help file myself. It's been frustrating me and now life is grand. However, I could not get it to stick in Max 2015. I had to overwrite the existing file 'DefaultLayerExplorer.ini' with my modified Scene Explorer setup.

For those in Max 2015 with the Enhanced menu you can find the 'ManageSceneExplorers...' it is here"

Scene/Manage Scene Content/Manage Scene Explorers...

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report