Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer slows down when too many objects are selected

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
marvinGW
1069 Views, 6 Replies

Computer slows down when too many objects are selected

I am currently upgrade my computer to be able to handle high resolution/object engineering models. I currently have an i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 32 GB of Ram, 250 GB Solid State Drive, and a new 4Gb Quadro K2200. I am currently using 3ds Max 2013. I can move around the camera in the viewport with no issue, but when I go to select all 14,000 objects in a particular file and try rotating them around, the computer comes to a crawl. I have tried 1) switching to different viewport drivers(Nitrous, Direct 3D, Open Gl with Direct 3D having a better result), 2)switching between realistic to shaded to wireframe with no difference.

Does anyone have any input on how I might resolve this issue?

Could this be a hardware issue or a software issue (Is it 3ds Max's settings/programming causing this or just that my computer isn't able to perform at this level yet)?

Is there something I can upgrade even further to be able to rotate 14,000 objects at once (such as in groups), or am I asking for way too much?

Also, I just recently installed the new Quadro card. Is there some kind of settings/performance drivers (besides the latest drivers from Nvidia's webstie) I can install to help me with my issue? My current driver is 340.84

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CAMedeck
in reply to: marvinGW

14,000 objects is a lot.  You could try grouping, but I'm not sure it would help much.  Is it possible to attach them to the same object?  Or find a way to not need rotating them all?  What kind of objects are they, and why do you need to rotate them all at once?

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
marvinGW
in reply to: CAMedeck

The was model is given to me to work on from a company. It imports default as the front of the model facing down and I'd prefer to work with the model facing forward in the front view. In order to do so, I would need to rotate the model 90 degrees up. So I am given the choice of either selecting a few objects at a time and grouping/merging/collapsing them, or selecting all of them and rotating them for the single purpose. It's not a world ending issue, but brings concerns as to wether it would be hardware issue (my current computer setup) or a software issue (3ds max settings/programming)? Is there any kind of solution that can help me achieve this, or am I just asking for too much?

Message 4 of 7
Steve_Curley

With that number of objects you're asking a lot, that's for sure. If it seems OK manually rotating one at a time then writing a script to do them one at a time should be pretty easy. Might take a long time (to run), but you only have to do it once.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 7
PROH

Hi. 14000 objects is a lot to handle as single objects, so you need to use some tricks. Here's a way to rotate it all, that I've used a couple of times:

1) Create a new file, containing a dummy object placed at 0,0,0. Remember to set up units correct (both display and system)
2) Use "Xref scene" to Xref your model-file into the new file, and use "Bind" to bind the Xref to the dummy
3) Rotate the dummy as wanted - the Xref will follow, even if it's hidden or frozen
4) In the "Xref Maneger" press "Merge" to merge your model-file into the new file

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 6 of 7
aon.914858227
in reply to: PROH

Just did a test with rotating 15k objects (about 60 Mil. polys) i get about ~1fps using a simple GFORCE GTX680 gaming card.

If you just want to turn around an entire scene where`s the problem? Using transform-type-in it takes a second.

Message 7 of 7
PROH
in reply to: aon.914858227

Great. But as far as I understand, this isn't OPs experience.

Besides that, it is my experience that the method I suggested makes it easier to move, rotate and place large models accurately to fit i.e. a terrain or map.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report