Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compositor Link and AE

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
JamesCutler7531
1003 Views, 1 Reply

Compositor Link and AE

Hi Guys,

I am having a real issue with compositor link and AE. When I bring in an object into AE it comes in as held keyframes (square ones) instead of the diamond shaped ones. I can swap these to be diamond shaped ones no problem via toggle hold keyframe command. But where my real problem lies is with motion blur.

I have to first change the keyframes to diamonds before turning on motion blur and after I do the object blurs fine until it rotates in an oposit direction. The object flips 180 degrees causing the motion blur to be completly wrong. Here is an AE file showing the issue, see frame 114 and 204.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10123940/AE%20Camera%20Match.zip

There is one comp showing the keyframes as held squares which is how it comes into AE. The other comp shows the motion blur issue after converting keyframes to diamonds. I have also included a 3ds Max file that has a plane linked to a screen. The plane along with the camera is what I am trying to bring into AE. 

Every tutorial I have seen shows the keys as diamond shapes, so not sure why mine arent like that initially. I have tried various attemps with different scenes and they all come in as held square ones. Using 3ds Max 2015 and AE CC 2014.

What I also cant understand is that I cannot bring anything in to AE unless it is a plane. 3D boxes or teaports dont come in correctly and line up with the camera as per what I see in 3ds Max. Is it only planes that work? Thats all I see in the tutorials as well such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qtRA0Akytk and http://vimeo.com/31092754

The real kicker is that I did a similar project a few months back in 3ds Max 2014 and AE CS6 and the keys were diamonds from the get go and the motion blur worked correctly and the object didnt flip. I can supply this AE file if needed but its confidential so I cant publicaly share a link. 

However I opened the exact same scene in 3ds Max 2015 and AE CC 2014 and its all wrong as explained above. I wonder if there is a settings somewhere I missed or a bug thats now in the latest software versions?

Thnaks for your help in advance. This is truely testing my patience 😞

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

In addition to the above, I have noticed some times the camera data doesn't export to AE even though it is recorded. And if I wish to set up compositor link accross multiple compositions in AE, the data always gets merged into the first composition. Even though I have reset the link and started a new one. I have to copy and paste everything across to the correct composition. If objects happen to have the same name as ones existing in the first composition it does not import them. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report